Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Technics SL-P1 driving me nuts
Technics SL-P1 driving me nuts
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2017, 11:40 PM   #1
PC91 is offline PC91  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Default Technics SL-P1 driving me nuts

Hi everybody, i'm struggling with a taken-out-of-trash technics SL-P1, till now i've fixed every technics cd player that i touched but this is simply driving me nuts.

Everything is clean, broken solders were repaired, belts were changed, everything is re lubed.

when cd was insterted the focus coil went crazy and stopped, after a complete recalibration (without oscilloscope) i got focus and tracking lock, CLV is acheived (checked by manually moving the pickup) but no TOC, it wont even looks for it, seems like the RF signal is not beign processed, if i put a multimeter on DC on the RF testpoint i got 2.15v when working and 2v when stopped, which seems to be a normal value for RF...

Any help is appreciated. thanks!
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:29 AM   #2
danico is offline danico  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I have just fixed up an SL-P2 yesterday......

The player read the TOC sometimes but took for ages and couldn't make it to play at all. sometimes the disk spinned up like crazy......

Check if the lezerhead can move freely, plastic lock srew is open.

For the reading problem I had to adjust the focus offset to around 0-10mV.
TJ101 on the lezer pcb with VR103
and the tracking offset close to 0mV. TJ103 with VR106.

after those setup it played every track nicely .

I assume the p1 is very similar to p2. better check the SM before.

good luck
Old 22nd April 2017, 02:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danico View Post
I have just fixed up an SL-P2 yesterday......

The player read the TOC sometimes but took for ages and couldn't make it to play at all. sometimes the disk spinned up like crazy......

Check if the lezerhead can move freely, plastic lock srew is open.

For the reading problem I had to adjust the focus offset to around 0-10mV.
TJ101 on the lezer pcb with VR103
and the tracking offset close to 0mV. TJ103 with VR106.

after those setup it played every track nicely .

I assume the p1 is very similar to p2. better check the SM before.

good luck
Well that seemed to help but i'm still kind of stuck or even worse, last night i got it following the spiral track , now somehow it looked for the TOC but got stuck, on other tryes on the same calibration the head went crazy to the outer part of the disk ending outside the disc, after lots of fiddling with the pots (it was a junk unit, every pot has been touched) it seems to be a lil better but still not reading, i'm started to think that i',m not getting it to work without an oscilloscope.

it did tranquilize me when it looked for TOC, i was affraid some electronic was fryed and the signal was not beign processed
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I could not get my photo off the iphone to my linux pc, but if that helps almost all the potmeters where in the mid position except the tracking gain adj. VR104.
that was set almost all the way to the left. and focus gain VR101 was a bit off left from the middle.

I do have an old philips scope but it needs a good contact cleaning, getting very noisy,so I couldn't really use it.

Try again. I was messing with it 2-3 days when it started playing.
i will try to get those pics tomorrow
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danico View Post
I could not get my photo off the iphone to my linux pc, but if that helps almost all the potmeters where in the mid position except the tracking gain adj. VR104.
that was set almost all the way to the left. and focus gain VR101 was a bit off left from the middle.

I do have an old philips scope but it needs a good contact cleaning, getting very noisy,so I couldn't really use it.

Try again. I was messing with it 2-3 days when it started playing.
i will try to get those pics tomorrow
Thanks, i left it aside after repair the tray in switch that was broken and continued with other devices ande let my head cool off on that, but yes a picture of the potentiometers could be of help, thanks a lot!
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sorry for late replay, but I have worked on my scope.
That took me all day to take apart and clean all the switches and pushbuttons.
I just hopping it will work..... and I did not mess up anything.

here are the pictures, they shot before I setup the VR103 and VR106.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1376qq.JPG (74.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1377qq.JPG (76.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 24th April 2017, 06:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i know how that feels... yesterday i messed up a marantz 2265 receiver after putting loose a power transistor after a cleaning...

Anyway, thanks for the pictures, maybe later i will be testing, what concerns me about my cdp needing the OSC is that i have to dissasemble the pickup in order to clean its internals and surely is not exactly aligned as it was originally, the cleaning was a must since somehow there was a huge spill of a corrosive thing on the inside of the machine and everything was messed up
Old 28th April 2017, 04:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Okay, i've setted the pots as your picture then calibrated vr103 and 106, it did improve a lot but still doesn't reads

There's another pot on the mainboard that adjust disc speed, is already messed up too, and if that pot does not match with clock speed data is gonna be all scrambled, i guess i now need an OSC, but thanks for the original settings, now the machine is quieter and is one step closer to be working!

Will try to get the OSC and post result, thanks!
Old 28th April 2017, 08:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Your welcome!

Yes I know that pots (L301) I think that is for a PLL signal.
Yes you need a scope for that. get some old philips theye are very good,mine is still original except the power supply in which I had to change some capacitors. and clean all the knobs, switches for the best working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Philips PM3217 Oscilloscope.jpg (428.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 28th April 2017, 11:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

That OSC looks nice, here is somewhat strange, a brand new 50mhz oscilloscope with LCD screed costs less than a 25 years old 40mhz banged up CRT one... is that something that makes old CRT ones particulary better than the newers with LCD or even USB ones?

Technics SL-P1 driving me nutsHide this!Advertise here!