Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2004, 01:11 AM   #1
Prune is offline Prune  Canada
Account Disabled

Default VREF as volume control

DACs like the CS43122 have output that's scaled by VREF. Would there be any performance issues if VREF is varied for volume control, as macaque suggested in another thread? The datasheet only specifies typical voltage and does not discuss performance for other VREF values.
Old 21st March 2004, 01:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

it's a technique used in instrumentation -- autoscaling, programmable gain -- you just have to be careful at low levels as the noise on VRef can swamp the DAC or ADC. In audio (or photometrics) you don't necessarily want a linear relationship, however.

Texas Instruments and Linear Tech have application notes on this.
Old 21st March 2004, 02:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Vref as volume control

This technic is used in my Mark Levinson ML38. The AD DAC8222 DAC is used as volume control. The signal to control is applied to Vref. The processor control the DAC to change the volume.
An AD823 op-amp convert the DAC current output to voltage.

It is very close to the perfect volume control.

Bye...
Old 21st March 2004, 03:11 AM   #4
Prune is offline Prune  Canada
Account Disabled

So is it safe to assume that the performance would not be affected by using a VREF different as what is given as typical in the datasheet?

I was trying to contact the manufacturer to ask about this w.r.t. the CS43122 specifically, but when trying to register with My Cirrus, a blank page comes up...
Old 21st March 2004, 11:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Prune
So is it safe to assume that the performance would not be affected by using a VREF different as what is given as typical in the datasheet?

I was trying to contact the manufacturer to ask about this w.r.t. the CS43122 specifically, but when trying to register with My Cirrus, a blank page comes up...

again, be mindful of noise, RFI and EMI. at low levels variations induce d by these products will cause the control to become "wonky"
Old 23rd March 2004, 12:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Prune
No this is not safe at all. The level of chip optimization is such that the whole chip design is optimized for a particular Iref/Vref. How much you will loose by going down this path is another matter - something you will have to offset against alternative methods.

Petter
Old 23rd March 2004, 01:44 PM   #7
macaque is offline macaque  Canada
diyAudio Member

The absolute maximum ratings for VRef on the data sheet is -0.3 < VRef < VA and maximum VA is 6.0V.

The typical operating condition is 5.5V for VRef. Note that the peak to peak and common mode differential output voltage are quote in terms of VRef (ie 1.33 * VRef and 0.5 * VRef).

If you look at the description for VA it claims it supplies power for the analog and reference circuits, which make you wonder why there would be a separate Vref pin and not an internal precision reference.

In the CS43122 white paper (Download it here) there is a description about what makes the Vref implementation on this chip different than most DACs and the description suggests to me that you should be able to vary Vref within some limits, probably enough to have a usable volume control. You are in no danger of exceeding the maximum limits so it is definitely something to try.
Old 22nd April 2004, 09:27 PM   #8
macaque is offline macaque  Canada
diyAudio Member

I thought I would add to this thread out of an interesting portion of the AD1853 data sheet:

"Analog Attenuation
The AD1853 also offers the choice of using IREF (Pin 10) to
attenuate by up to 50 dB in the analog domain. This feature can
be used as an analog volume control. It is also a convenient
place to add a compressor/limiter gain control signal."

Very interesting that the data sheet claims 50 dB attenuation using this pin athough they don't give any indication of performance changes by doing this...

Hide this!Advertise here!