CD player skipping - can it be almost unnoticeable ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SF-P 101N mechanism skipping - can it be almost unnoticeable ?

Some weeks ago I replaced the CD mechanism in my CD transport with a new one .

The player is a 47 labs Shigaraki, which is using a cheap Sanyo SF-P 101N mechanism that is readily available on Ebay and such .
( The one I got was advertised as an original Sanyo unit; I also replaced the flat ribbon cable to the mechanism ).

Since then, I had the odd feeling that the player might be missing parts of some recordings .
As I mostly listen at low volumes, and have changed other components as well during that time, I didn't think much of it and considered it just a minor change in presentation .

But today I listened to an old CD I had recorded myself, and all the tracks would play, yet skip or jump forward just a tiny bit and then continue .
Not as usual, when a faulty CD gets stuck or jumps to the next track, or the mechanism acts up at a certain point during replay .
Just bits of music missing, playing fine otherwise .

Apart from that (possibly imagined) issue, the new mechanism also takes quite a bit longer to read the contend of a CD, and start playing after hitting the play button, than the old one .

Which makes me wonder, is even it possible for a CD mechanism to not read small parts of a recording, without being noticeably malfunctioning ?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Does this player have any adjustments to be made after replacing the pickup ?

Taking a long time to read the TOC is a sign things aren't all well but only you can answer the question of whether bits of music are missing. If they are then the player is skipping in some way.

A CD player can cope with some raw data errors, but correcting them. The result is that you hear nothing apart from music, as the data correction is perfect.

Too many errors means that it can't correct them, but if it has good data before and after then it should interpolate - just put a line or smooth curve through the data it has. You probably won't hear this.

Even more errors and it cannot interpolate, so it just mutes until the data quality improves. This seems to be what you are getting.

Your player is struggling to read anything. When reading the TOC it can simply retry until it gets it (or gives up entirely). It can also do this when reading a data disc. It can't retry when playing music.

Thanks for the replies .

I found a datasheet for the transport ( lost the link , sorry ), and will check the positions of the laser and turntable .
Havn't found any obvious adjustments yet , it's a very simple unit .

Maybe some of the Shigaclone guys read this, someone might know how to adjust the darn thing .

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies .

I found a datasheet for the transport ( lost the link , sorry ), and will check the positions of the laser and turntable .
Havn't found any obvious adjustments yet , it's a very simple unit .

Maybe some of the Shigaclone guys read this, someone might know how to adjust the darn thing .

Replace SFP101N mechanism. Some have bad PIN detectors.

Regards,
Tibi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.