De-emphasis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

Can anyone tell what digital audio source the (15/50uS) de-emphasis feature in digital filtering is intended for?

I found I'm not allowed to de-emphasis as long as I use 96KHz FS in CS43122, and since I'm using CS8420 to convert whatever FS to 96KHz, I'll not be able to de-emphasis at all in my setup. Is there any way around? Thanks!

Hi alfsch,

My setup is still on paper, and I am wondering how it'll sound too:)

By the way, I've found out a way to deemph. in the digital domain by reducing the CS8420 external master clock freq. by half so that it works at 48KHz when emphasis is present. There's an output with CS8420 indicating the emphasis presence that can be used to alter the master clock freq......but again this is on paper so far. I'll work them out and keep ya posted.

Very, very rare...

The de-emphasis is very rare. I have 10 CD, mostly old ones in my collection 600. Since I have a home built CS4328 DAC I can test the difference between a de-emphasis recording with and without this filter. You get 2 dB higher treble, hardly noticeable if you DON'T know if the CD has de-emphasis! If you DO know, of course you can hear it but it's not like a Dolby B recording without Dolby B!

PerAnders,

Do you have Toto IV ? It has pre-emphasis and I would certainly not state it is hardly noticable, it is VERY noticable if the correction is not made. A Chord DSC900 didn´t correct it and it was an ocean of treble energy.

It is amusing that the dealer have had this DAC for a couple of years without hearing the treble lift. I think it is kind of significative for the audio business. Not much listening to music.

Kind regards

Syl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.