Problem with vintage player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

I have a very old Philips CD104, that has the following problem when connected to the amplifier: when I turn the amplifier's volume knob up or down I can see the right speaker's cone moving. This does not happen with any other player I have so it cant be amplifier related.
Apart from that, the player sounds beautifully, and I cant hear any hum or strange noise.
Any ideas what can it be and what can be done?
And can I use it like this until I get it repaired? I mean is there any danger for the amplifier or speaker?
I really love this player's sound and would hate to part with it.
Thank you very much! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Change over the audio leads from the cd player.

Does it still happen with the same speaker or has the effect also changed sides?

If the effect changes sides then you have a problem with the cd player - probably a small amount of DC voltage on the channel.

If it does not change sides then the fault is in the amplifier.

Andy

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Before you do anything I would try and measure any DC offset coming from the players output sockets. There should be zero volts.

I haven't got the manual in front of me but this just might be something fairly simple as I think the player will have an AC coupled output which means that should always be no DC voltage at the output.

Didn't these players suffer from 'griplet' issues, called rivets or bushes here:

~ Classic CD Player Modification & Modernisation ~

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, it should be fixable assuming that its a 'normal' fault, and that it is not caused by something like spillage or the unit having an unknown history such as having been bought second-hand.

Without basic test equipment it all becomes guesswork. You have to be able to measure.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 143
No, I bought it second hand, so I dont know its history, but the player looks very clean on the inside, as well as on the outside.
I also read that some people use to remove the output coupling caps to "improve" the sound.
I wonder if this is the case with this player.
Unfortunately, my tech knowledge is zero and I am having a hard time finding someone who really knows how to troubleshoot a cd player.
Now I noticed that I mistakenly said cd104 in the thread title, in fact is cd304. Anyway, they're kind of similar inside.
The player has a volume control on the rca output, and when I lower the output volume, the effect does not happen.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If are confident to take the top off and have a look and if you also have a multimeter then we can tell you how to test it and check if those caps are linked out.

If they are linked under the board then you may still see them in place, but the meter tests will show if they are shorted out.

There is also a slim possibility that DC offset could be caused by a faulty muting transistor. Again with a meter its easy to test what is happening.

I didnt open the player yet, but just noticed something: until now, I used the amplifier with source direct enabled. If I disable source direct, I dont notice that effect anymore.
I suppose the amplifier engages some protection circuits once I disable source direct.

Well, I didnt get to inspect the player anymore, as an acquintance of mine bought it from me that very same day.

Instead, I got a CD303, fully functional, however I noticed the following anomaly: after about ten or maybe more minutes from starting to play, I noticed that the top cover starts to somehow vibrate. I can sense this while touching it. It is strange that aside from that faint noise from the transformer I cant hear anything once I lift the cover. That vibrations occur regardless if the player plays a disc or not.
I suppose that vibration is somewhere inside and the cover, being very thin, amplifies it, so to speak.
Any ideas what can it be?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.