Some 1541 ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, for the switched I/V resistors you will need a wide range from lowest to highest value. I did measuremt THD against value of resistor only with TDA1543 because for me TDA1541 is expensive, and i found the value is very critical for minimal THD. I doubt this is different with the 41. So we would have only one volume setting (the lowest ?) with good THD figure. The more voltage we get out, the worse the DAC would perform. So we need a lot of gain behind, and more gain means more trouble...

For the switched DACs: beside its expensive, about 100€ for DACs, the main benefit of parallel DACs would only be used at full volume - a waste of ressource.

I think the D1 stage were the DAC drives about no resistance and may be happy with this very low value, and the D1 volume control by switched resistors between positive and negative side of the differential pair would bring much more benefits. And there is still the option to drive the D1 stage with 16 parralel DACs, and if you want 16 for positive and 16 for negative half...

If i only had the money and the parts i need.....

So i propose balanced DAC with D1 and volume control by relays switched resistors in the D1 stage like Nelson did. And for next step instead of the TDA the 1865NK.

driving the load directly would mean we need enogh current - no prob with massive parallel them, and enough voltage. In case the DAC gives us 1V and we have a 1Ohm speaker we need 1A so about 200 or 300 DACs? and we have 1W. Enough for a high efficent System. Current amp is nothing but the follower, if cathode, emitter or source depends on taste.Will do the same but with less parallel DACs. But without voltage gain and about 1V we will never reach real power levels... High power DAC would mean we need switchabel current sources with very high precision relative to each other. Will not reach 16 Bit resolution if precision is not good. Precision would mean we need a thermal stbilized system and so, will be difficult i suspect. I suggest you have a look on the D1 stage, the outer 2 transistors are only buffers and not really needed if you drive normal impedances. The stage of corse should be also doable with triodes instead of FETs, but we need higher voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.