Denon DCD1500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This CDP from 1986 (mine is that old but works still after so many hours at work) has small potentials to be tweaked. The major drawback is a 7-pole (or was it 5?) LC-filter in a tin can. In 1986 the CDP was realy cool with oversampling but times are different now. The CD has one good property: Can handle scratched CD's rather well becuase of the slow laser pickup.

Too bad it wasn`t a DCD-3560, that`s a killer-drive!

But the DCD-1500 shure can be improved too. Uppgrading trafos gives more than changing caps, start with analog-supply.

But the easiest way to uppgrade is to add a set of extra
RCA`plugs on the rear, localise the out-signal on the op-amp(s) and just run the signal from there(bypass).

Another simple uppgrade is to add a solid-core powercable.

Ok, that`s a good start:D

That`s the funny part, if you don`t have a service-manual you just have to searc for them. I`ve used to do this with my system "playing", on low (!) volume, with a thin/soft little cable connected to the output you can take a "tour" inside your player searching for the best sound:rolleyes:

Sounds scary? Just remember to do the ground-connection before you start searcing your op-amps!

Good luck!

PS.
Mybe you should write a letter to your family before doing this, just in case:eek:

Test Pilot said:
Too bad it wasn`t a DCD-3560, that`s a killer-drive!

But the DCD-1500 shure can be improved too. Uppgrading trafos gives more than changing caps, start with analog-supply.

But the easiest way to uppgrade is to add a set of extra
RCA`plugs on the rear, localise the out-signal on the op-amp(s) and just run the signal from there(bypass).

Another simple uppgrade is to add a solid-core powercable.

Ok, that`s a good start:D
Let the DCD-1500 rest in peace :nod: or have it at work or something.

Well,I have a DCD1400 that does not read the disks in one end of the house but works perfectly in the other end of the house.And this is not a one time affair.I've tried this many times.Soon as I relocated the player to any other rooms in my house it stop reading any disks. Soon as I brought it back to my work bench it works without problems. The electrical outlet in my work bench is next to the fuse box.I've upgraded the output stage for this player. Anyone experienced such problem before?

Denon DCD-1500 Modification ?

Question for all DIY elders here. I have a lightly used DCD-1500 and am thinking about doing some modifications. I would like to replace the 4560 OPAMP, most of the capacitors, the oscillator with an XO clock and beef up the power supply. I would like to have your expert opinion on whether the effort will be worthwhile? BTW, there are two PCM54's in the DCD-1500. Thanks. Tim King

peranders said:
This CDP from 1986 (mine is that old but works still after so many hours at work) has small potentials to be tweaked. The major drawback is a 7-pole (or was it 5?) LC-filter in a tin can. In 1986 the CDP was realy cool with oversampling but times are different now. The CD has one good property: Can handle scratched CD's rather well becuase of the slow laser pickup.

Dear Per-Anders:

Thank you for your comment here on the LC filter. It gave me the idea to pull the filters from my DCD1500 and replace them with 2.2 uF Polypropylene caps. The sound became quite good. I then replaced the NE5532s with OPA627s mounted on Brown Dog adapters running in class A with four 2.7k resistors from out pins to V- pins. Now the sound is very good and I am using it as my primary CD player. I may add an XO clock later to reduce the slight hashness in highs. Hey, thanks to you I am rocking now (figuratively speaking, I listen mainly to classical music).

Denon DCD-1500 modz...

Hey all,

Beginning electroncics head here. Was hoping someone could help walk me through with parts to revamp a Denon 1500. I was reading the last post and it doesn't seem too difficult, just need a little reassurance. My solder skills are ok, but neat. Many thanks!

:)

I cannot recommend any tweacks resp. modification works for sonic enhancing because there is inside a no longer available optical pickup from SONY (KSS-272A, KSS-273B, KSS-151A etc.)
Additional there is to note, that the genuine laser heads from this series from SONY have a very short life time.
You will find more detailled information on various threads here on diyaudio - go to
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ailable-optical-pickups-sonys-kss-series.html
Use cd player models where is inside mechanism/optical pickup from Philips (only CDM0/1/2/3/4) or JVC (Optima Series). Avoid such with Sony and Philips CDM9/12 and VAM mechanism.
Check out this threads:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/118902-stripdown-clean-cdm12-4-a.html

Last edited:
Denon DCD1500_service manual enclosed...!

This should help a few of you out, just need to free register. The KSS-121A laser replacement can be had on flea bay right now for 49.00 / new sony replacement. My question is which op-amps are worth doing???

There are a pair of NE5532 that can be direct swapped for OPA2604 or better yet a 1pc dual to mono OPA827AID. Page 28 lists the IC's. I am not too familair with swapping amps so if anyone has any suggestions on simple big bang for the buck upgrades for this player, I am all ears. I am sitting on two decent ones right now and am getting ready to clean them out. They play burned discs with ease. My unit is from 1986 and they seem really solid and sound good. Just need a little warmth and we are in the money.

treeman

Denon DCD-1500 | Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | HiFi Engine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.