Onkyo CD Player Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Everybody. I've looked in several forums and I have not been able to get answers to my questions regarding the problems I am having with my Onkyo DX-1400 CD Player. It's 13 years old and since I purchased it from a friend a few years ago it would not play certain CD's and certain other CD's it would play but there is a lot of hash almost like static in the first few tracks. As you play deeper into those particular CD's the hash clears up. Knowing that the player is at the end of it's usable life I crack it open and replace all of the elctrolyics with Nichion Muse. The change to the sound of the player is astonishing!! I also remove the musing transistors, change the final electrolyic coupling caps to Jensen Paper In Oil and I swap the op-amp for the best replacement I can find on the market that fits. Again the additional changes in the sound of the player are amazing. Now I want to fix the problem I have with the fact that it doesn't play certain CD's and the hash problem on the others. I suspect it's the laser itself and I go to the focus and tracking adjustment pots and try tweaking them. I have one focus pot and one "focus ground" pot? Also one trim pot and one "trim ground" pot? Any idea what this is???:confused:

Also I turned up the laser current pot just ever so much to see if the slight increase would help. Nothing!

I have not changed the clock crystal. Could it be that?

Also maybe I could change the players pick up? Its a KSS 150A. Does anyone know where I can get this part??

Thanks All

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.