Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2018, 02:12 PM   #561
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Measurements are necessary (it are a must) in electronics. Nothing it could work without. There is a very big difference in measuring a stage, or few connected, for appreciations on quality or for faults finding. We have methods, algorithms, tools and so on for such measurements. A completely different task is to measure a whole system to appreciate its overall quality. This is almost impossible. The measurements trials who one or another may be doing, it (can)not target the whole device as a system, but it target parts of the system (audio, video, THD, noise floor, etc. etc). Using these singular measurements results, one try appreciating how good the whole device/system it may be. This is a grove approximation, which mean almost nothing in conjunction with the human perceptions, its subjectivity or very different criteria for appreciations. So what`s the point here?
Measuring and analysing a whole system quality, it need a enormous preparing work, establishing the scientifically methods, the use of right tools, establishing the methods for result interpretations, and so on. Such work it could take years for a team, and in the end it still be not sure if they did it right, or the results of what they have measured it reflect the real world (perceived by humans and their more or less precise and strongly subjective criteria for appreciations).
Who have the time, energy and founds to do such work? And for what purpose? Only for giving satisfactions to one or another, who may throw out at once the piece of paper, just after reading the results, and then powering up their (preferred for years) audio/video system for listening or film watching... Who really care about such?
On other hand, one can very well understand the needs for objective criteria for appreciations of different statements, we are flooded by the informational system world wide and in all fields. However, not everything it can be measured or put it into strict flow charts, algorithms, and so on. The best way of doing it still be the human appreciation (using own algorithms), which every individual may poses (more or less). Then exchanging that appreciations/impressions with other individuals/peoples it is another way for revealing a kind of overall result... Which it will never be a precise one.

Last edited by Coris; 10th July 2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10th July 2018, 02:53 PM   #562
dtossan is offline dtossan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yup. I like measurements too. Perhaps it's the human need for some kind of foundational reassurance.
Yet I know ordinary stuff can measure almost as well as the good stuff and don't say nuthin' about how it will sound.
Anyways, the fun for modding and for audiophile is in the pursuit! And the delightful music!
Old 10th July 2018, 11:10 PM   #563
Music Lover is offline Music Lover  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hereís another set of measurements and itís simular to what Amirmís results:

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Oppo UDP-205 Part 1: Output levels and digital filter settings... (And a few words about recent Munich 2018 MQA interview videos, McGill listening test out.)

This is another 3 part measurement of the OPPO 205. The 105 is also on there.

Those critical of Amirmís measurements questioning his methods and results should ask themselves if they have a $25k-29k AP555, just to measure a $2200AUD stock 205.

Iím not critical in some of the mods here, itís extremely entertaining while I watch on the fence line. But Iíd like to see b4 and after measurements on the effect the mods might have on the stock unit and hownit effects SQ to the ears. Then again itís all subjective isnít?
Iíve seen the 105 measurements on several different sites and they all measure well for the $$$$. However Iíve never compared a modded 105 to a stock standard so I canít comment. But what I will comment is everytime I replace a component whether it be a capacitor, opamp etc there is a difference to the SQ presentation.
Old 11th July 2018, 04:53 AM   #564
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
Measurements are necessary (it are a must)...
Absolutely!

It will show rubbish for what it is: Rubbish!

Bad engineering for what it is: Bad engineering!

But at some point, forget about the measurement and just listen.

But we can enjoy both, right. Just maybe, not always at the same time.
Old 11th July 2018, 07:40 AM   #565
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
Absolutely!

It will show rubbish for what it is: Rubbish!

Bad engineering for what it is: Bad engineering!

But at some point, forget about the measurement and just listen.

But we can enjoy both, right. Just maybe, not always at the same time.
Which is why I appreciate the work by people like Sean Olive who use measurements as what they are, tools, along with *education* and training, in order to correlate the perceived with the measured. That takes time, resources, and money.

Of course it helps that he has multi million dollar facilities to conduct testing...
Old 11th July 2018, 05:43 PM   #566
diyAudio Member

A better way for mounting the multi-channels XLR connectors, on the back panel of 205..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 205-MC-XLRoutput.jpg (320.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 11th July 2018, 09:44 PM   #567
Discopete is online now Discopete  Canada
diyAudio Member

Such ********. Oh, we all hear differently...crap!!!. However you hear, what you hear, is how you perceive reality. It doesn't matter that Bob's hearing 'measures' differently from John's. They both grew up with what they have. So their perception of transparency as regards reality/the gear is identical. How close to reality(their realities) is it? Put a stock one against a modded one. Simple. As enough people to compare to their own sense of reality and you'll arrive at consensus. Done.
Old 14th July 2018, 03:39 PM   #568
Music Lover is offline Music Lover  Australia
diyAudio Member

This is the 1st time I’ve seen a real measure on a stock vs modded for a OPPO device and in this case the 105. Here we have one where the mods are possible more than the 105 itself.
The data speaks for themselves.

Archimago's Musings: MUSINGS: Thoughts on audio device "modding" (eg. a tube modded Oppo BDP-105). [New Oppo UDP-205 firmware out with MQA USB-B...]
Old 15th July 2018, 09:28 AM   #569
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santodx5 View Post

Opening the can was a bitch!!

Click the image to open in full size.
How did you do it, I can imagine is was not easy, so what 'technique' did you use?

Last edited by Joe Rasmussen; 15th July 2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 15th July 2018, 10:32 AM   #570
diyAudio Member

I wonder also how they may doing it when soldering the can on board... It seems to me that all soldering points of the can are soldered simultaneous... I have used a 100w soldering iron and I couldn`t remove it. It is a such big heat spreading on that ground plane, and the risks for damages on board are very high (as to be seen in the above picture also...).
However, I repeat my opinion that the can removing is absolutely unnecessary (now when we know what is inside). Here I can see only two alternatives: either using the circuit as it is, or cutting the clock out trace, and power rail to the original circuit, and then inserting the new clock circuit/signal. At least the can itself so as it is soldered on board, is a very good support for a UFL connector (my solution) or another small PCB, as the one used in the above pictured case...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DACclockingUFL.jpg (139.7 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Coris; 15th July 2018 at 10:50 AM.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modificationsHide this!Advertise here!