Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2018, 02:55 PM   #331
kevner1954 is offline kevner1954  United States
diyAudio Member

so the question is ,for audio only , 203 or 205??????
Old 28th January 2018, 07:22 PM   #332
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Old 28th January 2018, 07:44 PM   #333
diyAudio Member

thank you sir
Old 28th January 2018, 11:03 PM   #334
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have ordered a '203 - but may not get it for a month - the Australian importer is out of stock.

I want to sort the clocking on the '203 motherboard before moving on to '205 later. I wish they had stayed with the same single 27MHz master clock they did with the '105.

Once I have sorted the clocking out, then on the '203 I am going to use a 1:1 transformer for the AK4458 DAC's output. I will use a Zobel on the output, it will make the output just fractional low at 20KHz and -1.5dB down at 20KHz. This is my infamous Voldemort Filter that has no name, hence it shall be known as Voldemort from this time onward.

Some power supply noise reduction techniques in and around the AKM DAC. I won't we changing the SMPS - the noise cannot get into the 1:1 transformers as they can when you are using audio ICs with feedback. I have already done this to an Oppo BDT-101 that was fitted with AK4490 DAC and transformer plus Voldemort sounded just great.

Any comments welcome.
Old 28th January 2018, 11:57 PM   #335
diyAudio Member

I have a 103 and am very happy with it, but with the 203 and 205 now it’s very tempting to get one of the new units, only using it for audio so????
Old 29th January 2018, 12:16 AM   #336
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevner1954 View Post
I have a 103 and am very happy with it, but with the 203 and 205 now it’s very tempting to get one of the new units, only using it for audio so????
In some ways, as an upgrade, I think what I just explained in that post re '203 might be a real sweet spot for an upgrade. Ther '203 is a lot less cost-effective, but now has a really good 32bit DAC. But that idea of using 1:1 transformers is not so good with the Sabre DACs used in the bigger models of Oppo (the impedance of the DAC outs are not super low), but AKM DACs are ideal for this. Transformers 1:1 should be used more often, the output is near 2V RMS and no sacrifice there compared to before, maybe only 1dB less output.
Old 29th January 2018, 08:05 AM   #337
diyAudio Member

The processor clock in 203 (and 205) it still be the same as before, 27Mhz. The optical drive processor clock is 25Mhz.
I think is a good idea using transformers. I thought at the same approach of using it to output from AKM DAC in 203. Not implemented yet as I intended to use Lundahls, and these are quite big for the available place inside (after modifications). I have also obtained very good results with my own post DAC analogue balanced stage (opamps). I already mounted Lundahl transformers in 205, and it is well working so far. I am still working in this field...
I may only say that using a linear power supply for digital stage is just a must and primary step to be done, improving everything dramatically. The original SMPS it will not affect the DAC output transformer in itself, but it inject lot of large spectre noises in the whole system. This is the main issue of the SMPS. I realised my LPM so to dissipate minimum heat (barely noticeable).

Last edited by Coris; 29th January 2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 29th January 2018, 10:31 AM   #338
diyAudio Member

Thank you both for your informative words. I've been reading both of your threads in this blog and I have to say i'm not that technically savy on the digital side of cd players . So thanks for taking the time to stop and answer my simple questions. I 'm probably savy enough to replace power supply's and such so ill keep reading your word , thanks so much
Old 30th January 2018, 02:58 PM   #339
diyAudio Member

Default my 205...

Here is my (finished???) 205. Well, I can say that all the improvements are now in place, even thought some improvements it can be even more... improved.
I could chose very well the original post DAC analogue processing (improved of course), because the original opamps are very good quality components. However, I chosen to experiment with Lundahl transformers, and for moment I will let it so. Next step is to use another type Lundahls.
The DAC two available output channels are tied together. I use balanced output, but the existent transformers it allow simultaneous unbalanced outputs as well. DAC chip clocked by a 108Mhz SAW oscillator.
Very surprisingly for me, using the improved device, I noticed as the best by far quality signal, through USB in. Then I powered the digital input stage from linear power (from LPM dedicated section). A even more surprise: a really new sound. Astonishing details, dynamics, sound scene and resolution.
Quite nice so far....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oppo205modified.jpg (581.9 KB, 307 views)

Last edited by Coris; 30th January 2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:36 PM   #340
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Just wondering what people think about this - With the linear power supply mod do you think that the 205 now competes at the top tier level? I am thinking of this as a great unit for disks and MQA playback with variable output direct to power amps.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modificationsHide this!Advertise here!