Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

If you are interest in audio quality too, beside the 4k video, then the best solution it may be the next (soon) coming UDP205... Of course improved/upgraded...
The 203 model it is mainly recommended to those who may need/want only 4k video...

You're probably right, especially if you look at the 203 entirely on it's own. However, I really only use it as a transport. The question I'm debating is whether there'll be a greater improvement upgrading to an external 9038-based DAC, or getting a similar result (and possibly saving some money) by upgrading the internal DAC board instead.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
My opinion is that it is a big/substantial improvement for 203 (audio stage) upgrading the DAC section to 9018 (there is already available a such solution), rather than one based on new chip 9038Pro...
Investing in a quality external DAC (most of such DACs it use USB interface, but not HDMI), to use it for 203 player, there is not a quite reasonable option in my opinion. 205 it will offer enough quality as it is, and it will be a all in one device, much more cost efficient, than any other solution. A such 205 device upgraded/improved, it will be indeed a very high end and complete solution (for quite many year forward)...

At least, there is a also a common (sense) solution to connect the 203 to an AV quality processor, which it have inbuilt the DAC function too...

Oppo goes the same SMPS way, which in my opinion is enough unfortunate. The new version SMPS is smaller and simpler. Nothing special about filtering and/or a high quality DC output voltages. It may be possible that this last SMPS it use a higher switching frequency, and so the HF transformer became smaller...
A unique 12v power rail (the same approach as for 101 model) now powers the main digital board. From this main 12v rail, are further DC/DC (SMPS) converted and then regulated accordingly for the necessary power rails of the processors on board. Switching mode converters all over the places...
A SMPS should always be shielded, as it generate quite much HF noises (EMI) in the near environment. Not the case about this 203 model... Maybe the 205 should benefit of the same shielding as the former 105/105D models.
As I can see in the released internal pictures of UDP203, the SMPS it is designed and ready for the 205 model too.

I don't have an Oppo but a Samsung 4K BR player: I get better PQ with my DIY power cord, and further PQ enhancements after I plug it in a DIY AC Filter box together with the TV. Do you know what can explain these, Coris?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, I can say that I`m quite sceptical to improvements caused by a power cord... However, I can not totally exclude a such possibility.
Picture quality is mainly improved (more or less dramatically) by lowering the HF noises into the system. Even thermal caused electrical noises it can have negative impact over the PQ. There is very possible that a particular (made) power cable it can add (more or less controlled) some inductances and capacitances, so to filter out somehow a part of the HF spectre existing into the AC power, which by chance it can positively influence the picture quality.
An AC filter box, it may be a more elaborated filtering approach, also a special designed device for this purpose: lowering/preventing the HF noises existing into the the AC network, to propagate or be induced into the power system of the connected/targeted device.
Another solution to eliminate or lower dramatically the HF noises into a power system of a digital device, is to use a linear power supply for that digital device. This in combination with AC filtering (local inbuilt or external - AC filter box), it will improve a lot the video signal (picture quality). The video signals and their (digital) processing are very sensitive to particular HF noises inside that system. Any efforts to lower or eliminate the most of the noises sources, filtering and so on, it will definitely lead to a much better picture quality. The higher the definition (higher frequencies) of the video signals involved, the more negative (visible) influences of the noises existing into that processing system.
My opinion - my explanations...

Last edited:
Well, I can say that I`m quite sceptical to improvements caused by a power cord

I didn't expect any difference myself, until I built one for my SS amp (2-prong at the amp).

Picture quality is mainly improved (more or less dramatically) by lowering the HF noises into the system. Even thermal caused electrical noises it can have negative impact over the PQ. There is very possible that a particular (made) power cable it can add (more or less controlled) some inductances and capacitances, so to filter out somehow a part of the HF spectre existing into the AC power, which by chance it can positively influence the picture quality.
An AC filter box, it may be a more elaborated filtering approach, also a special designed device for this purpose: lowering/preventing the HF noises existing into the the AC network, to propagate or be induced into the power system of the connected/targeted device.
Another solution to eliminate or lower dramatically the HF noises into a power system of a digital device, is to use a linear power supply for that digital device. This in combination with AC filtering (local inbuilt or external - AC filter box), it will improve a lot the video signal (picture quality). The video signals and their (digital) processing are very sensitive to particular HF noises inside that system. Any efforts to lower or eliminate the most of the noises sources, filtering and so on, it will definitely lead to a much better picture quality. The higher the definition (higher frequencies) of the video signals involved, the more negative (visible) influences of the noises existing into that processing system.

Thanks a lot for your explanations - look quite plausible to me: it's similar to the explanation for better SQ overall as well.

Agree with the Linear PSU, I actually built one for my DAC after completely re-engineering what a USB connector for async USB audio should be. Despite using a rather unsuitable LM317 as regulator for it, I obtained several levels worth of SQ jump gong from computer USB supply to external SMPS supply (iPhone charger) to my DIY Linear Regulated PSU, which I am now enhancing further.

I am, of course, familiar with your PSU for Oppo's players as well, so giving one a try someday for video is on my mind - I might have a few questions for you if/when it happens.

For the various SMPS in the video, it does look highly beneficial to filter out those high frequencies. Further replacement of SMPSes with Linear Reg PSUs will also decrease Leakage Currents.

Based on another solution for Leakage Currents, I am also thinking of using an isolation transformer for video as well someday.

One thing that helped also in my Audio USB experiments is changing the shields configurations. Have you tried experimenting with the shields for video as well?

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
My experience on rebuilding older Oppo players is that they make great universal transports, both the linear and switchmode power supplies can benefit from some upgrades, but it's much better to go with a higher built external dac, no amount of upgrades and new digital chips can overcome the IC output stage and common power supplies compared to discrete jfet IV filters and shunt regulators. It will be interesting to see how Oppo use the 9038 chipset in the new Sonica dac. Will it have linear regulators, fast recovery snubbed diode bridges, discrete IV and output buffer, better clock, will Batman save Robin this time, stay tuned my friends...........

Last edited:
My experience on rebuilding older Oppo players is that they make great universal transports, both the linear and switchmode power supplies can benefit from some upgrades, but it's much better to go with a higher built external dac, no amount of upgrades and new digital chips can overcome the IC output stage and common power supplies compared to discrete jfet IV filters and shunt regulators. It will be interesting to see how Oppo use the 9038 chipset in the new Sonica dac. Will it have linear regulators, fast recovery snubbed diode bridges, discrete IV and output buffer, better clock, will Batman save Robin this time, stay tuned my friends...........

Thank you for this awesome bit of wisdom. An internal vs external DAC upgrade is a topic I've been researching lately.

The idea that the Oppo makes a nice transport is really useful, so with that in mind, what remaining upgrades have worked best? Would linear power supply, clock, and possibly shielding upgrades make sense, especially in terms of audio performance?

Thank you for this awesome bit of wisdom. An internal vs external DAC upgrade is a topic I've been researching lately.

The idea that the Oppo makes a nice transport is really useful, so with that in mind, what remaining upgrades have worked best? Would linear power supply, clock, and possibly shielding upgrades make sense, especially in terms of audio performance?

Yes. Power supply and clock upgrades are a must.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
95mm is also a wrong dimension... The SMPS board size for 203/205 models is 100x155mm...Quite far from your statements...
However, I got the right dimensions in the mean time, and the redesign of my linear power supply (LPM) for the new Oppo series (203/205), is now finished and the boards are in production...

Last edited:
I just uploaded 27 Mhz clock circuitry in my blog.

So this is on the underside of the digital Mainboard, right?

A little more zoomed out photo would have been nice too, but thanks.

Cheers, Joe

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think it may not be just useful a more detailed picture about this back side resonator. More important is in my opinion, heaving in hand the board and so find out which via it connect the back side to the upper side for the clock signals... Then a good closer up of that area/via it may be more useful...
However, we may find out about quite soon...

BTW, Joe welcome back into the field...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
What is in this picture is a resonator... We can see two caps (C525/526) and two resistors (R531/532), around and close to X501, which is typical design for a resonator approach. The consecutive marking of these passive components it suggest a very close functional connection in between. These R/C are part of the resonator device circuit.
A well known and "classical" Oppo design for the main processor clocking. However, an powered oscillator design it should increase the production costs. Lowest cost is always preferred...
The modders should do the work, replacing it with the right approach...;)

Last edited:
I just finished OCXO/TCXO clock module installation for OPPO UDP 203.

The result is wonderful . More detailed and vivid picture and trueful digital sound .

0.01 PPM class Ocxo clock is used for 27 MHz system clock

and 2.5PPM class TCXO clock is used for secondary OPPO ARM chip operation.

It needs 4 V AC for supplying 3.3V DC.

So I ordered special transformer which has 4V and

6V AC tap( later it will be used for supplying 5V DC to ESS9038 PRo featured DAC board)

for more pictures , visit my blog at

Jae H. Lee Blog :: Jae H. Lee Blog

2612624F589BB22634BDBB