ES9038PRO VS AK4497 FIR Filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just do a quick test on the default FIR filter using the latest ES9028PRO and AK4497, i.e. the default sound output look like.
The ideal output should be a square wave.
The test file is Left channel 1KHz Right channel 2KHz square wave PCM 48kHz sampling rate

AK449X DAC series can output ideal square wave like those NOS R2R DAC when SSLOW=1, (although there is a small overshoot when comparing to ad1865 nos)

es9028pro010
es9028pro010.jpg

ak4497sslow0sd1slow0
ak4497sslow0sd1slow0.jpg

ak4497sslow1sd0slow1
ak4497sslow1sd0slow1.jpg

ad1865nos
ad1865nos.jpg

It is not strange thing,
1. actually if You emulate passive n times RLC netwotk filter (like Zanden style for the ex.) You will get the similar or same results.
2. IF You plot the (Sin(x))/x function You will get the same or sim. results.
In these chips that is done by the software. Other Question is what is more friendly to the ear? Personally I prefer passive way, with no-dsp in the dac-s.
DiyHk is right older dacs (r2r) have not present this kind of "phenomenon". For instance I measured almost perfect square @ 20KHz (Yes You reading right 20KHz :)) with NOS TDA1540 philips 14bit R2R dac...

It's a step function. You couldn't have sampled it in a band-limited system. People love to see that "clean" square wave, but if you have a proper reconstruction filter you will never get it. As Jens mentions, it does look like the Gibbs ringing is clipped.

What do you get from the other filter settings on the ES9028PRO?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.