Audio Alchemy DDS-2 CD Transport woes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have one currently in repairs and it spins up the disc trying to read the TOC but then the VFD will say Disc, spamming the play button will not help as it will stop reading altogether. Not sure if its a laser problem but I do suspect it is as there is no red beam coming out of it but the laser does bop up and down on power up (laser is Sanyo SF-90 6 pin version) or the decoder on the pcb gone awol this is a repair unit I picked up recently (have repaired a few but never took pictures or had symptoms like this one).

The PCB looks to be from some Japanese CD player as its evident Audio Alchemy desoldered some stuff that would otherwise make this transport a full cd player.

All caps have been replaced on the board and diodes/resistors checked as well as the clock.

Anybody have an idea as to what is the problem, service manual or even service manual of what this transport is based off from?

Last edited:
Ok just a bit of an update to this thread in case anybody else reads/need info. Got in contact with AA, one of the support reps told me the player they re-badged and modified into DDS-2 transports was a large OEM export from Haitai Taiwan back in the late 90's. I've done some searching around with no results, so I'm at a dead end. The same applies to the DDS-3 transport. Audio Alchemy used internals from other players be it there transport or CD player line. The only thing they designed and made themselves was the Jitter bug/DAC's and amplifiers.

This also explains why there were so many fake ELNA capacitors (branded as KELNA) on the main board and half of me was convinced this couldn't be a based off a Japanese player.

There are so many problems with these transports they aren't worth repairing, just throw them out or re-use the case for a CD transport project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.