Optimization of Odroid as source for Chord Mojo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HELLO THERE!
As I said in the introduction thread I am quite new to all of this, so be soft on me ;)

I put together an Odroid C1+ running Volumio
I use it with an Ifi Ipower. It connects via USB to my Chord Mojo.
For better USB transfer I use an FAW Hybrid USB cable and an audioquest jitterbug.
So my question to you would be: What can I do to further improve SQ? The Mojo will stay DAC/AMP so I am only interested to further improve the transport.
I read about Ians FIFO boards and his new project aimed at the Pi and the Odroid Cs.
They seems well suited for my purposes, but since I am new to all this, it's all still a little foggy.
Since the Mojo serves as the master clock always and every input is completely reclocked I question the improvement coming from a different clock for the Odroid. Please tell me I am wrong and a FIFO I2S reclocker is the way to go
BTW I read that in Ian's design one could change the master clock. how complicated would it be to add a microsemi SA.31m? Would it be possible?
The new boards from Ian seem to aim at eliminating electrical noise and implement native DSD. Since Mojo doesn't have native DSD support and my final project is supposed to be battery powered I am not so sure which board would be a good point to start.

Sorry if it's all a bit foggy,
Any help appreciated!
Cheers

So maybe I can sort the questions a bit better. ;)

Would you say, that a reclocker like Ian's design would bring benefits, even though the connected DAC performs high quality reclocking?

I read that the output on Ian's reclocker is coax. Can I solder a cable with one end terminated wit a 3.5mm plug to put into Mojo?

Sorry for my ignorance :)
Cheers

Hi,

A reclocker like IAN's FIFO boards are not suitable for your setup. The reclocker takes the I2S output of the Odroid C1+ , reclocks it and outputs as I2S or SPDIF. Since you Chord DAC only has a USB input, this will not work.

The only simple upgrade would be to replace the Odroid wallwart DC adapter with a linear PowerSupply with a something like this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...w-noise-ldo-regulator-pcb-21.html#post4749044
and a suitable transformer.

My setup is Odroid C2 --> WaveIO -via SPDIF-> Lyngdorf TDAI2200
The WaveIO has its own powersupply (
4.17uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3.3V/5V 1Ax2 - DIYINHK
)
When using the second regulator for the Odroid, much to
my surprise i did make a noticable improvement to the sound quality. But beware! If you are running kodi or something else that will result in a high CPU load, you will need a different low noise powersupply.

Thanks for the reply, audionootje!
Will think about a different PS when used in stationary setup.
But since I plan to run the Odroid on battery, most of the time, this tweak doesn't really suit me.

BTW Mojo got USB, Coax and Toslink input.
That's why I asked if would make sense to go from Ian's reclocker to coax in on the Mojo directly.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.