Building a DAC from Assembled DAC7 parallel dual WM8741 + WM8805 + CM6631A +AD627 PCB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2016, 06:57 AM   #1
whinge is offline whinge  United Kingdom
Account disabled at member's request

Default Building a DAC from Assembled DAC7 parallel dual WM8741 + WM8805 + CM6631A +AD627 PCB

Hello Forum!

I would like to build a DAC from the following pre-assembled board (eBay member happyshop 1982)

Assembled DAC7 parallel dual WM8741 + WM8805 + CM6631A +AD627 board | eBay

or - different seller (eBay member min9988)

Assembled DAC7 parallel dual WM8741 + WM8805 + CM6631A +AD627 board | eBay

I used to make some of my own boards 30 years ago, so, am very rusty! I have soldering equipment now and am using this project as a way back into electronics: a hobby - to learn and enjoy. Ultimately I would like to build my own pre/power amp also - but want (for many reasons) to start with this DAC project.

I currently have a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC which "blew my mind" when I heard the difference from a 'standard' source: I am hoping that this board will out-shine the V90 and produce an even more thrilling sound.........

I only want an optical input for this project so am not worried about a/the USB input (that will be my next project: producing a "good" optical out from a PC... but first things first!)

I have been told by eBay seller (happyshop1982) that the power supply requirements are "AC 16V 0 16V and 9v 0,9v 0" - another eBay member has suggested this transformer as suitable

30W R Core Transformer Primary?2X115V Secondary?2X16V 0 10V 0 10V | eBay however, this seems a bit "cheap"?

I would like to build my own suitable good quality separate power supply and was considering two or three torroidal transformers to suppy the "AC 16V 0 16V and 9v 0,9v 0" - please does anyone have any advice on suitable transformers/design ideas to best supply this board? Perhaps even updating/adding to the onboard capacitors etc...?

On the (analogue?) section it appears that the (opamps?) are easily replaceable - any suggestions here on improving sound quality?

Also, does anyone have a schematic for this board and any clearer pictures please?

Finally: a sincere thank you to everyone who replies. I am really trying to understand the board/processes and any possible modifications - I am not afraid to do a bit of soldering etc. - just nothing too 'precise' to start off with!

I am 'all ears' - thanks again everyone!
Old 16th August 2016, 08:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

these are nice boards to work with but just reminded:
the 7pin daughter board only do usb->spdif, not usb->i2s, that means you will need some extra effort to make it truely usb input by bypassing the onboard 8805
Old 16th August 2016, 08:44 AM   #3

Hi kinsei,

I'm only looking to have an optical in for this project no USB (I want that as a separate unit / project) thanks.

Any advice about this board regarding building a power supply / replacement opamps etc please?

I know that I will be opening a can of worms by asking the following, so, I will post it as a separate thread: alternatives to this board for a good quality 'DIY' DAC.

Many thanks for replying.
Old 16th August 2016, 09:37 AM   #4
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

WM8740 / 8741 sounds great with passive output with 600 ohm transformer.
Old 16th August 2016, 09:39 AM   #5

Hello plasnu,

I'm coming back into electronics after 30 years, so, please excuse my ignorance:

"8741 sounds great with passive output with 600 ohm transformer" - please could you explain how to implement that in practice?

Also: any simple advice on power supply please - I want to make it a separate unit - two/three torroidal tansformers? Any design ideas please?

Many thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 09:51 AM   #6
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinge View Post
Hello plasnu,

I'm coming back into electronics after 30 years, so, please excuse my ignorance:

"8741 sounds great with passive output with 600 ohm transformer" - please could you explain how to implement that in practice?

Also: any simple advice on power supply please - I want to make it a separate unit - two/three torroidal tansformers? Any design ideas please?

Many thanks
Hi there,
I'm posting from ipad, so I can't attach the link, but there is a thread about 8741 with transformer output on this forum. I modified my DAC with transformer, and I prefer it to the stock opamp output. I have no advice for psu, sorry...
Old 16th August 2016, 09:56 AM   #7

WM8741 dual differential, output stage

Thank you!!! Now for some reading...
Old 16th August 2016, 10:01 AM   #8

Hi plasnu

I read the thread, but, could not glean enough info from it to understand how to design/build what you mention.

Do you have any further info / search terms for me to research please?

Many thanks for your time.

Old 16th August 2016, 10:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

My suggestion if you are feeling rusty, is to keep your goals simple and easily achievable at this stage. Build the thing as it is intended to be built, then branch out when you confidence and knowledge has grown.

Opamps can sound good, and you can usually better the ones installed with these kits. There are plenty of pages discussing which devices are best - I'm currently using two opa827s, which are very good.

Don't bother with an external supply, there is no need. Also R-cores are better than toroidals the these purposes as they pass less noise from the mains. So go with the one recommended.

All the best!
Old 16th August 2016, 10:52 AM   #10

Thank you Spartacus - that is exactly the kind of post I was hoping for as now I know that I can start! (Learn, make mistakes, correct...)

Is there any real difference in quality of the following v1.1 board in your opinion:

Dual WM8741 24/192K input ultra DAC assembled new version thick copper PCB ! | eBay

So - can I just buy two opa827 and fit them to the board?

Fantastic news on the psu advice also - many thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!