upgrade mods for Marantz cd5004 cd player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2016, 07:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default upgrade mods for Marantz cd5004 cd player

I just purchased a very lightly used player, and was just wondering if anyone else here has one and have done any mods to it. I realize, it's not one of Marantz's top of the line models and I'm just looking for ways of improving it's sonic performance. Looking at the service manual, I don't see any op amps but was thinking about maybe upgrading PS caps, rectifiers, bypassing output caps, removing the muting transistors, dampening the case etc. Any suggestions on things I could try would be greatly appreciated! ps the player was said to have about, 30-40 hours of actual playing usage. Thanks!
Old 9th May 2016, 07:36 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

IMHO your simply best off leaving it alone. I expect your
upgrade attempts will seem pretty futile in the long run.

Just let it do what it does, and enjoy it, it is good.

rgds, sreten.

My mantra, buy a good used CD player, I've a CD4SE, and
don't mess with it. Great older CD players are very cheap.

Last edited by sreten; 9th May 2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 13th May 2016, 10:04 PM   #3
02GF74 is offline 02GF74  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

.... but wheres the fun in that?

Google for marantz cd 63 mods, im sure quite a few will apply.

With cheap players you can mod away knowing if it goes tits up youve not lost a lot of money.
Old 15th May 2016, 10:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippledchicken View Post
I just purchased a very lightly used player, and was just wondering if anyone else here has one and have done any mods to it. I realize, it's not one of Marantz's top of the line models and I'm just looking for ways of improving it's sonic performance. Looking at the service manual, I don't see any op amps but was thinking about maybe upgrading PS caps, rectifiers, bypassing output caps, removing the muting transistors, dampening the case etc. Any suggestions on things I could try would be greatly appreciated! ps the player was said to have about, 30-40 hours of actual playing usage. Thanks!
MARANTZ CD5004 Modifications

Hide this!Advertise here!