diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   Creative Infra52X as a transport (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/29039-creative-infra52x-transport.html)

hacknet 26th February 2004 04:13 PM

Creative Infra52X as a transport
 
i saw this pc cdplayer poping up many times in previous threads. after looking around i found many DIYers using the IDE bus to control the cdp.


is it posible to connect just the power and tap the audio off the audio output. using the remote as a control.

is this possible?

Zoran 26th February 2004 07:35 PM

Yes
I am listening the one just in that mode
(separate PS output audio and remote con.)
have poor DAC inside 16KHz cutt-off
sound is not bad
but for the better results i suggest a proper DAC
used with a existing D-out...
transport is good but little a bit of noisy too...

hacknet 27th February 2004 11:15 AM

noisy as in mechanical noise or electrical noise?


has any one tried implimenting an lcd screen to display the track number for this model?

i saw a website that described the ir52x to not work with most designed interfaces. is this true? i thought all interfaces are generic?

fmak 28th February 2004 12:06 AM

Re: Creative Infra52X as a transport
 
Quote:

Originally posted by hacknet
i saw this pc cdplayer poping up many times in previous threads. after looking around i found many DIYers using the IDE bus to control the cdp.


is it posible to connect just the power and tap the audio off the audio output. using the remote as a control.

is this possible?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not a good transport at all. Will not read CD ;layer of SACDs and has a poor TTL output. Also tinny compared to TEACs and Toshibas. Don't be seduced by the IR control.

hacknet 28th February 2004 01:56 AM

what would be a good one? i`m trying to escape from building a ide interface

fmak 28th February 2004 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hacknet
what would be a good one? i`m trying to escape from building a ide interface
-----------------------------------------------------------
Inspect the |CDROM; some are made with heavier gauge metal, properly secured. Teacs and older Toshibas seem excellent. Don't go for high speed; find a used one in good condition.

cm 28th February 2004 09:25 AM

The IR control does not work unless you connect to a PC and load the software. You can only open or close the tray. In other words, the IR is useless.

The SPDIF output can be used. I have tried it but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

I have opened up the unit. Mechanically, the Sony or Teac drives are better. It uses a MT1199 controller, which no one has a datasheet of. I do not think it supports an external DAC and hence I2S direct is out of the question.

The servo controller uses a resonator as the clock source - not good at all. You might have to change to a Tent Clock. It is 33.8Mhz and the KC-7 clock might not work at that frequency.

The onlky consolation - the drive is cheap! About US$20 brand new.

hacknet 28th February 2004 10:46 AM

i went looking for the creative today. they have been out of production for awhile...

so, i got the cheapest one i could find. it was a msi cddrive.


i tested the audio out, it works. now, for the digital, i don`t know, i don`t have a dac to test it out.


back to the control issue, what is a good and well documented circuit i can use to control this drive?

CM: could you call me... please... 91084462

fmak 28th February 2004 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cm
The IR control does not work unless you connect to a PC and load the software. You can only open or close the tray. In other words, the IR is useless.

The SPDIF output can be used. I have tried it but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

I have opened up the unit. Mechanically, the Sony or Teac drives are better. It uses a MT1199 controller, which no one has a datasheet of. I do not think it supports an external DAC and hence I2S direct is out of the question.

The servo controller uses a resonator as the clock source - not good at all. You might have to change to a Tent Clock. It is 33.8Mhz and the KC-7 clock might not work at that frequency.

The onlky consolation - the drive is cheap! About US$20 brand new.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Typical of Creative; all marketing hype and not too much substance. Pollutes your computer with 100s of MB of useless software. The Infr 52 has something like 25-25MB.


:clown:

hacknet 28th February 2004 04:36 PM

i don`t disagree. the creative soundcard alone has 25mb of nonsense that i don`t use.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:01 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2