Creative Infra52X as a transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i saw this pc cdplayer poping up many times in previous threads. after looking around i found many DIYers using the IDE bus to control the cdp.

is it posible to connect just the power and tap the audio off the audio output. using the remote as a control.

is this possible?

noisy as in mechanical noise or electrical noise?

has any one tried implimenting an lcd screen to display the track number for this model?

i saw a website that described the ir52x to not work with most designed interfaces. is this true? i thought all interfaces are generic?

hacknet said:
i saw this pc cdplayer poping up many times in previous threads. after looking around i found many DIYers using the IDE bus to control the cdp.

is it posible to connect just the power and tap the audio off the audio output. using the remote as a control.

is this possible?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not a good transport at all. Will not read CD ;layer of SACDs and has a poor TTL output. Also tinny compared to TEACs and Toshibas. Don't be seduced by the IR control.

hacknet said:
what would be a good one? i`m trying to escape from building a ide interface
-----------------------------------------------------------
Inspect the |CDROM; some are made with heavier gauge metal, properly secured. Teacs and older Toshibas seem excellent. Don't go for high speed; find a used one in good condition.

The IR control does not work unless you connect to a PC and load the software. You can only open or close the tray. In other words, the IR is useless.

The SPDIF output can be used. I have tried it but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

I have opened up the unit. Mechanically, the Sony or Teac drives are better. It uses a MT1199 controller, which no one has a datasheet of. I do not think it supports an external DAC and hence I2S direct is out of the question.

The servo controller uses a resonator as the clock source - not good at all. You might have to change to a Tent Clock. It is 33.8Mhz and the KC-7 clock might not work at that frequency.

The onlky consolation - the drive is cheap! About US$20 brand new.

i went looking for the creative today. they have been out of production for awhile...

so, i got the cheapest one i could find. it was a msi cddrive.

i tested the audio out, it works. now, for the digital, i don`t know, i don`t have a dac to test it out.

back to the control issue, what is a good and well documented circuit i can use to control this drive?

CM: could you call me... please... 91084462

cm said:
The IR control does not work unless you connect to a PC and load the software. You can only open or close the tray. In other words, the IR is useless.

The SPDIF output can be used. I have tried it but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

I have opened up the unit. Mechanically, the Sony or Teac drives are better. It uses a MT1199 controller, which no one has a datasheet of. I do not think it supports an external DAC and hence I2S direct is out of the question.

The servo controller uses a resonator as the clock source - not good at all. You might have to change to a Tent Clock. It is 33.8Mhz and the KC-7 clock might not work at that frequency.

The onlky consolation - the drive is cheap! About US$20 brand new.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Typical of Creative; all marketing hype and not too much substance. Pollutes your computer with 100s of MB of useless software. The Infr 52 has something like 25-25MB.

:clown:

I'm using the Creative Infra 12x. I found it on Ebay for $5. All of the functions work with the Creative remote control, even the volume. I made a cheap PSU with a tranny from an old CD player. Right now I am just using the CDRoms analog out and it sounds alright, but not great. I plan on building a N.O. DAC which should hopefully improve the sound quality, but I will lose the volume function on the remote. I modded the rom to be a top loader. It is very quite as is, and with a solid enclosure it will be even more quite. I am now designing the enclosure, which should match my Single-Chip amp's chassis. So far I am pleased. I won't lie and say it sounds better that any high end CD transport, but for less than $20 total investment, it a great value and fun to play around with.

Here is a picture
http://hometown.aol.com/dchnowski/images/player psu remote.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.