WADIA WT-3200 Drive Remote control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi friends,

I have picked up a WADIA WT-3200 CD Transport that I currently restore: particularly I change all the caps and belts...

But my problem relates to the remote control : I have got this transport without the remote control, and the generic manufacturers including "All in One" do not know this remote control model and cannot provide a compatible one.

Do you have any idea of what I could do to get a remote, or tweak an existing one into a remote compatible with this transport ?

Thanks

Yes,

Since I posted my first message, I have got the confirmation that the WT-3200 uses the same base than the PHILIPS 960 CD Player.

So the solution is to find a remote compatible with the PHILIPS 960, but this is an old model so it is not referenced in the databases of the website sellling the replacement remotes (at least, I have not found it to date).

Is ti possible to be sure that any PHILIPS remote would be OK, or do I have to reduce the scope to some remotes only ???

Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think you should try and narrow it down and prove that a Philips type works OK. Universal all in one remotes (the £5 supermarket type) should prove that.

I have a Micromega Stage 2 and there are several Philips codes that work it OK. A friend has a Sugden CD player and my original Micromega remote works the Sugden and vice versa. I also tried Lidl and Aldi remotes in the past, and they had the basic functions covered.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Good luck with the remote.

No idea on the display I'm afraid. Are you sure its an LCD ? Just looking at some web images and it looks more like an orange VFD (vacuum fluorescent display). These are glass, they are fragile, and they have a tiny 'pip' where the glass envelope is sealed.

What is the problem with the display ?

If it is a VFD then common problems are capacitor trouble in the supplies that generate the negative rail required. Usually its a couple of electrolytics that have dried out. Other problems can simply be that it needs a good clean of the display and the window on the inside. They seem to attract atmospheric dirt.

Hi Mooly,

Regarding the remote control, I have found a Philips CD-960 remote on internet, that I should receive in a few days/weeks: I have been told that it is compatible. So I wait for it and will go back to you if I have to search for another solution.

Regarding the display, it could be a VFD. I have totally recaped the Power Supply (as well as the rest excluding the display board), so the display is OK now.
But I am nevertheless looking for a replacement display because I plan to give it to my grandson as an heritage !! :D More seriously, I use to have a replacement display for all my devices than I plan to keep for many years...

Any idea to where I could find such a display ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I wouldn't like to guess where you might source a display... Wadia of course, but other than that, I don't know.

The best you could hope for is that it matches a known common product such as one from Philips, but it looks a bit unique from the pictures I've seen. That said, tooling up for a one off part of limited sales is very very costly so it may be one from a Philips/Marantz player of that era. You would have to do your research beginning by looking for images of all the possible players.

Thanks for your advices guys...

Btw, your whole machine is a Marantz, except faceplate and ST output

Yes I know !

And the price

Error : I have got it for quite nothing because the belts were died and the previous owner did not want to keep it...

So, I had to pay 10€ for the belts and no more than 30€ euros for the capacitors because I have entirely recaped it from A to Z...

The cheapest Transport that I have ever seen :hohoho:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.