Burson Conductor SL:USB --> I2S question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have the possibility to get my hands on a Burson Conductor SL unit for where the USB digital input is not working. The USB input module/PCB was replaced with a known working USB module, which didn't make a difference. The SPDIF input works, so the digitial input is not entirely fried.

Does anyone have experience with the digital input section of the Burson Conductor? Schematics? How difficult would it be to replace/bypass the Burson USB input with an add-on USB->I2S converter (Wave IO or similar)?

Trying to find where the signal stops you can start with analysing the circuit and the components (IC's) which are used in the signal processing.

I recently checked my old DAC which had cracks and dropouts but this was caused in the analogue output.

Here is a picture of the digital section which made me understand how the DAC was designed.

The WM8805 at the left is an SPDIF switcher, see the 3 lines top left coming from USB, RCA and Toslink digital inputs.
Then the SRC4190 sample-rate converter and finally the WM8742 DAC chip.

Of course I had to look everything up but hey ... I know now how the signals are routed so I can follow the signals from chip to chip.
In the end I ditched this DAC and bought a new one ...

I do have an oscilloscope ... this really helps too ;-)

1k0.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.