Marantz CD84 laser failed or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Intially the unit did not power up at all. So i took it apart (particually PSU, servo board pcb), retouched solder, checked motor for tray etc. I didnt look at the laser mech pcb though.

Prior to this, a month back it was playing perfectly, fast tracking tracks etc. Recently i got it out of storage and it played well 14 tracks of a cd then stopped and started to play the first track?

Today it was dead as if no power:confused: i would load disc and ready is only one for a second then error and no response?:(

Can lasers just fail like this or something else?

You can visually check the laser and focus action. Don't look into the laser from above, the red light should be visible from sideway, no disc loaded. The lens should go up/down 3 times for focus search. Those lasers never break down. Have you checked the notorious blue 33 uF/16V capacitors on the laser PCB? There could also be a cold solder joint.

Thank you for the reply lcsaszar
I went into the pantry in complete darkness, powered up the marantz and saw no light, i ejected the disc draw and again no light again

I will have to take the 84 apart, and check the laser pcb and jumpers, whats best? should i replace those 33u 16v? with Panasonic FM or FC or Nichicon PW, VR or VZ?

Hi Stephen
Thank you for the reply and re assurance that the laser should be fine. I like the fact Nichicon are made in Japan still. The original caps in the old Marantz cd players is VZ or VRs, the CD84 being made in Japan has been all Elna. I dont want to be opening the player up again to repair it, as it takes some time to take it all apart to especially to get to the laser pcb.

Hi MaccAu,

You can access the laser PCB from the bottom by removing a steel cover plate. The named capacitors (light blue axial type) are on a small PCB surrounding the disc motor. I believe the whole laser/motor assembly came from Philips, so are the components on it.

But there are other components to the laser driver circuit too, since the laser current can be measured across a resistor on the main PCB. Check the interconnect wires between the subassemblies.

I spent the whole afternoon working on the CD84, touching up solder where I thought it was needed. I checked the jumper pins, and they seemed fine with the mulitmeter. I also replaced the 5 capacitors on the laser pcb with Rubycon ZLG 33uf 25v (16v orginnals) as the Nichicons were out of stock.

I used my adaptor voltage plug and set it to 5v and tested the spindle motor and it spun. Though on power up of the CD84, this did not spin nor did the laser respond? maybe some other capacitors on the servo board have gone bad? or the laser maybe? i wonder if i damaged the fine ribbon cable while fitting the caps? I checked them also with the multimeter and touched up solder there also

** mods cant see to edit so have to post again **

with the swing arm, didnt put any oil in it?, prior to this dead laser no repsonse issue it was playing, but returned to beginning of cd and acted funny. ? maybe I should hold down the power connector for the cd player next time I fire up or maybe the re touching solder wasnt a good idea

Marantz CD84 power went out while I left it on for 10mins

I have been trying to fix my CD84, and after the effort of putting it back to together ( hope it was just my diy power plug) turned it on, and everything looked normal, left it for 10mins before returning with a cd to see the lights were off so I turned it off right away?

maybe the issue, wasnt the laser in the first place with the strange random play back issues,and the door suddenly no responding

? i assume it must be PSU related? regulators maybe since i touched them up with solder like the rest of the player, maybe i damaged them:eek:, its a nightmare

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
A ha, this is the prequel to : "Question Marantz CD84 power went out while I left it on for 10mins after third repair attempt" ;)

There is a nice german word (unavailable in english) for this kind of modifications: verschlimmbessern

Last edited:
A ha, this is the prequel to : "Question Marantz CD84 power went out while I left it on for 10mins after third repair attempt" ;)

There is a nice german word (unavailable in english) for this kind of modifications: verschlimmbessern

lol, pretty much, what the german word means
Origin & history
From verbessern "to improve", verschlimmern "to make worse".
Verb
verschlimmbessern (verschlimmbesserte, verschlimmbessert)

colloquial - To make something worse in an honest but failed attempt to improve it; to disimprove.

It was working perfectly, after the improvements with but was not used then for 1 or 2 months then, i moved it out and it played well but erractically, then i tried to improve the issue ( and verschlimmbessern ) to make it worse. I am over modding CDs especially Marantz, my Technics have been ... more of a success:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.