Marantz CD84 laser failed or not? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2016, 09:27 AM   #1
MaccAu is offline MaccAu  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MaccAu Send a message via MSN to MaccAu Send a message via Yahoo to MaccAu Send a message via Skype™ to MaccAu
Default Marantz CD84 laser failed or not?

Intially the unit did not power up at all. So i took it apart (particually PSU, servo board pcb), retouched solder, checked motor for tray etc. I didnt look at the laser mech pcb though.

Prior to this, a month back it was playing perfectly, fast tracking tracks etc. Recently i got it out of storage and it played well 14 tracks of a cd then stopped and started to play the first track?

Today it was dead as if no power i would load disc and ready is only one for a second then error and no response?

Can lasers just fail like this or something else?
Old 29th February 2016, 02:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can visually check the laser and focus action. Don't look into the laser from above, the red light should be visible from sideway, no disc loaded. The lens should go up/down 3 times for focus search. Those lasers never break down. Have you checked the notorious blue 33 uF/16V capacitors on the laser PCB? There could also be a cold solder joint.
Old 29th February 2016, 09:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MaccAu Send a message via MSN to MaccAu Send a message via Yahoo to MaccAu Send a message via Skype™ to MaccAu
Thank you for the reply lcsaszar
I went into the pantry in complete darkness, powered up the marantz and saw no light, i ejected the disc draw and again no light again

I will have to take the 84 apart, and check the laser pcb and jumpers, whats best? should i replace those 33u 16v? with Panasonic FM or FC or Nichicon PW, VR or VZ?
Old 1st March 2016, 04:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you want it to last, use Nichicon, and all three grades you name are equally good choices. One thing you can count on, with 99.9% certainty, is the laser itself is fine. It's incredibly rare for lasers CDM4 & older to go south.
Old 1st March 2016, 06:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Stephen
Thank you for the reply and re assurance that the laser should be fine. I like the fact Nichicon are made in Japan still. The original caps in the old Marantz cd players is VZ or VRs, the CD84 being made in Japan has been all Elna. I dont want to be opening the player up again to repair it, as it takes some time to take it all apart to especially to get to the laser pcb.
Old 1st March 2016, 09:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi MaccAu,

You can access the laser PCB from the bottom by removing a steel cover plate. The named capacitors (light blue axial type) are on a small PCB surrounding the disc motor. I believe the whole laser/motor assembly came from Philips, so are the components on it.

But there are other components to the laser driver circuit too, since the laser current can be measured across a resistor on the main PCB. Check the interconnect wires between the subassemblies.
Old 1st March 2016, 08:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi lcsaszar
Thank you for the reply and saving me heaps of time taking the player apart. When I was fixing the dry joints I noticed the interconnect jumper wires were tight so maybe they are partially pulled out, so maybe update the caps
Old 9th March 2016, 07:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I spent the whole afternoon working on the CD84, touching up solder where I thought it was needed. I checked the jumper pins, and they seemed fine with the mulitmeter. I also replaced the 5 capacitors on the laser pcb with Rubycon ZLG 33uf 25v (16v orginnals) as the Nichicons were out of stock.

I used my adaptor voltage plug and set it to 5v and tested the spindle motor and it spun. Though on power up of the CD84, this did not spin nor did the laser respond? maybe some other capacitors on the servo board have gone bad? or the laser maybe? i wonder if i damaged the fine ribbon cable while fitting the caps? I checked them also with the multimeter and touched up solder there also
Old 9th March 2016, 08:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

** mods cant see to edit so have to post again **

with the swing arm, didnt put any oil in it?, prior to this dead laser no repsonse issue it was playing, but returned to beginning of cd and acted funny. ? maybe I should hold down the power connector for the cd player next time I fire up or maybe the re touching solder wasnt a good idea

Hide this!Advertise here!