Coax digital out to computer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Do you mean the digital input connector on the soundcard PCB where you normally connect the CD drive digital wires? That may not work, because the S/PDIF output of the DVD player is +/-0.5V, whereas the soundcard expects a TTL-level signal of 0-5V. Also, I'm not sure what sample rate the soundcard expects, probably 44.1kHz, so you may need to change your DVD player settings as it may be set to output 96kHz PCM. Soundcards such as many from Creative that do not have external S/PDIF inputs have onboard ones, and they would be best to use.

You really need to provide more info when you ask a question like this. What soundcard do you have? Where on the computer is the S/PDIF jack you are talking about?

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Coaxial digital cables use the S/PDIF standard. I think there's a good chance it will work. I don't know what connector your card uses, but if it's a mini plug (35 mm) like some Creative cards have, then just use an RCA to mini converter for a couple of bucks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.