Need Help About the YM3623 (from the Elektor DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all of u !

I bougt the Elektor Dac with 2 PCM63P and the YM3623 from Yamaha on Ebay, but its not working.
If i connect a CD-Player the Error LED is permanantly on, and also the Deemphasis Relais switch on and of the hole time.
I tried different Sources (Cd-Players), but none worked.
Is there some way to test the YM3623 ? Maybe its broken ?
Does someone know where to get the YM3623 (best in Europe)

Has anyone made this experience with this Chip, or can u give me a hint ?

Thanks to all who want to help me

Cant really help you now, guess the first thing to do is to check the powersupply of the yam chip. I have more info at home, but it is hard to help from a distance. And the info is still in some moving-boxes...

If you cant get a new one, you could make some kind of small daughterboard that fits in the place of the yam chip containing CS8412 or 8414 and surrounding components.

If you get it working, check out how the gnd connections to the DAC are made and then read the pcm63 datasheet. They don't match, elektuur did not connect gnd properly.:whazzat:

Maybe you could do some modifications..

Greetings,

Hi guido,

I have a friend who has one of these lying around unused which he'll probably let me have to play around with. I haven't heard it in action for a few years now, but I remember it sounding rather nice, although I believe noise and distortion are rather high.

Have you any tips on tweaking it? The analogue stage looks rather complex to me, and I'm not convinced of the quality of there digital side of things either, particularly the ground signal routing.

Thanks for any info, and good luck Burli getting your DAC going - if you got it cheap you may well find you've picked up a bargain.

Dan:)

Hello !

i measured all Voltages at the YM and they are all correct.
Maybe i try the way guido mentioned with a small daughterboard and another chip to replace the YM3623B.

If anyone has already built such "replacement" for the YM in combination with an DF1700 digital filter i would be very pleased for the circuit diagram, because im not a pro on designing circuits :bawling:

Nice wishes to all audio freaks :)

Check out the DAC GTent worked on for tweaks.

http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/DAChtml/dactop.htm

As for the GND routing, check the datasheet on page 8 of the pcm63: "Both commons should be connected to an analog gnd plane as close to the pcm63 as possible".

Have an analog devices AN on the why of this, but only softcopy somewhere.. Basically: any voltage present between agnd and dgnd pin will be present in the output signal. So they should be connected together with a short pcb track. A resistor is :bawling: :dead: :smash: :cannotbe: :xeye: (great, i found the settings again to include those :D :D :D ).

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm63.pdf

Maybe Guido Tent could say more on this, he has experience with this DAC. I don't!

Greetings,

Burli said:
Hello to all of u !

I bougt the Elektor Dac with 2 PCM63P and the YM3623 from Yamaha on Ebay, but its not working.
If i connect a CD-Player the Error LED is permanantly on, and also the Deemphasis Relais switch on and of the hole time.
I tried different Sources (Cd-Players), but none worked.
Is there some way to test the YM3623 ? Maybe its broken ?
Does someone know where to get the YM3623 (best in Europe)

Has anyone made this experience with this Chip, or can u give me a hint ?

Thanks to all who want to help me

I can´t help you with the repair,but when you get it working again I recommend that you chánge the analog stage.
I use this DAC with a discrete I-V stage(which is way better than the original one...).
Look here:

I-V stage

Good luck with the repair ;)

Hi All !
Thank you very much for your knowledge and your help again !

To John: Yes you are right there is a 74HCU04 at the input.
I will change this next, but there is definetly coming some kind of signal to the YM3623. Because if you connect a cd player in stop mode nothing happens. But if you start playback , the deemphasis starts switsching on and of (at least 60 times per minute), sorry i forgot to write this in the first post. Im not able to conclude something out of this, thats the reason i didnt wrote it...
(im such a noob sometimes :confused: )

I got several offers for working Yms (Maybe the last chance for me to get this DAC working ! (thanks to John, Alfsch and Jocko !)

Is there any possibility to measure the input signal without a scope ? Unfortunatly there is no way to get one for me, but i keep trying......

If i get this thing working i give a party and start tweaking :)
(thanks to nickie and guido !)
Best wishes,
BURLI

Is there any possibility to measure the input signal without a scope ?

Man.......you have you work cut out for you there.

For all its bad press, the Yamaha chip reflects very little energy back onto the input.

If you ever get it up........kill the little crystal oscillator once it locks up.

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.