XO powersupply PCB board diagram

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are the PCB board image of 317/431 power supply for XO. The images is ready for direct printout without the need of resizing. (The size of this board is 2.324 inches in length)

This board had not included the transformer, diode and first filter cap (470uf).

I made the supply and the result is good. And would share this to those interest.

Attachments

• clocksuplayout.jpg
    clocksuplayout.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,610
another schematics and board for XO

LeoJar,
Some month ago, Fmax started a thread "More on clock power supply" http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16179&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
There he shows a way to reduce the power supply noise to a Tent XO module usind a TL1763 LDO.
I made a board of it using his spec. and comments.
I have been using from then. But now I'm thinking on changing the design of this little board.
I attach the schematics and the board in order to get some comments from all of you.
Could you, please, say something about?
This is the schematics and pcboard

Attachments

• xo sypply sch.gif
    xo sypply sch.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 2,093
trafo for the supply

You can use it to supply an XO module using a pair of 9V bateries or an external transformer.
Actually I'm using one of the +8V connections inside my CD player.
But I thinking to built a board for a trafo to supply, something like the ones you can see in the second page of the thread mentioned above: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16179&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Guido's supply use a choke and some more filtering that the one from LCaudio (which seems to use an small ferrite, the one at one side of the V in).
Can any of you give me some advice on what kind of choke should be better to use, where to set it and which values could I use?
Thanks a lot.

LeoJar said:
It's also good...
The noise from LT1763-5 is pretty low. I don't think there is any issue in using this chip..
I do try to build one and measure the noise level....
Leo

Hi

I just looked at the spec, it is about 60nV/Sqrrt Hz (20uV in a band to 100kHz) so no need to measure (saves time)

That is not bad, at least much better than LM317T, but still not as silent as my own 5nV/Sqrrt Hz...........

succes

LeoJar said:
It's also good...
The noise from LT1763-5 is pretty low. I don't think there is any issue in using this chip..
I do try to build one and measure the noise level....
Leo
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No need. I measured to 1 MHz bandwidth and it is as specified.

It's one thing measuring PS noise using a resistor; it's another measuring it with the PS connected to the XO and injecting the clock signal. I try to silence the PS using the latter.

The Audiocom Supetregulator collapses under XO load and spews out hf noise spectra like someone is going sick!!

It's useful to do a spectral analysis of both PS and clock signals.
Some XOs have odd harmonics just 10dB down from the fundamental in a more or less monotonic manner.

:smash:

fmak said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No need. I measured to 1 MHz bandwidth and it is as specified.

It's one thing measuring PS noise using a resistor; it's another measuring it with the PS connected to the XO and injecting the clock signal. I try to silence the PS using the latter.

The Audiocom Supetregulator collapses under XO load and spews out hf noise spectra like someone is going sick!!

It's useful to do a spectral analysis of both PS and clock signals.
Some XOs have odd harmonics just 10dB down from the fundamental in a more or less monotonic manner.

:smash:

Hi

nothing to add...............

keep posting Mr mak !

Ciao

Re: Clocxk power supply

Elso Kwak said:
Hi,
Wouldn't this scheme be more quiet?
Taken from Pat's Lab.
http://home.att.net/~patslab/3fe5755e.gif;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who knows, unless you measure it!

I think there is more to it than noise spec. KK Hos power supply is not as quiet as Guido's but to my ears sounds very good.

It is also small and very easy to mount!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.