Tweaking the Sony X339ES cdplayer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Although this is my first post at diyaudio.com, but I'll try to behave ;)

I've recently bought a Sony X339ES cdplayer to play around with. This is a fairly old player (introduced in 1991) and is relatively cheap to come by (about 150 euros mint.) (picture) It's a heavy player (aprox. 11 kg's) with a good transport and isolated sections for the power supply, display and output/dac. It also has a nice dual mono output section with 2 dual op-amps per channel. I got some extra information from this newsgroup post and started tweaking right away (well, almost...)

I removed the four dual op-amps in the output section (2 Mitsubishi 5238 and 2 Jrc 5532DD) and replaced them with sockets. Right now I'm using one ad823 and one op275 per channel. I also took out the standard power cord and put in a euro connector/netfilter unit from Littlefuse (after making some space with a dremmel.)

I've also ordered a service manual, but it probably won't arrive for two weeks.

Plans for more tweaks (and questions about them):
1. Find the right op-amps. I have some BB’s laying around, so I’ll experiment with different configurations. I’d also like to hear some suggestions on op-amps to try.

2. Add a coaxial digital out (sp/dif). It has an optical out, but no rca/bnc. I've tried to trace it back to a converter (at the transport), but I couldn't find it. There are a lot of Sony chips on witch I'm unable to find datasheets. An other question is if it uses the i2c or sp/dif standard or it’s all Sony/BB(?). I may be mixing things up here. I'll probably need the service manual for this. I have a Arcam Black Box with TDA1541A S1 dac, so I'd really like to have a (bnc)digital out.

3. Replace the 7812 regulators on the output. There's some nice info on regulators at tnt-audio . I don't know much about regulators at the moment, but I'm willing to learn some.

4. Better clock's. There are 2 clock’s on the main board. One 16.9344 and one 45.15 Hz(?). What sort of replacements would be suitable?

5. Better capacitors. Most larger caps are bypassed by smaller ones, so this is not my top priority at the moment. But I may put some nice BackGate’s in the output (or bypass some caps completely.)

6. Change more op-amps. There are two more op-amps on the main board, another Mitsubishi 5238 and a Jrc 4556D. I’ve got no clue what they are doing, but they are situated around the dac (which is a Sony CXD2562Q pulse unit by the way, maybe the weakest link of the player?)

7. Power supply upgrading. Maybe I can change the rectifier diodes with some faster ones or use better caps. It already has a reasonably sized transformer and caps, so this is no top priority.

8. Better cables (pure silver) from the output stage to the output. It’s by no means a long run of cable, but I use the same cable for my interconnect. Just for some peace of mind.

9. Some dampening inside the case. When I come across some bitumen I’ll put some in, but this is already a well build player.

I’m no engineer or something like it and I’m not very sure on everything. I’d like to read some ideas, tips and comments if you have some. I can post pic’s if needed (or requested) of the internals of the player. Happy tweaking!

Progress update:

1. I'm now using 4 ad826 opams, this is a big improvement on the ad823/op275 I was using. When I get to it I'll try the ad8620, which is supposed to be even better.

2. Clear case of stupidness. It turned out that the optical signal going to the optical transmitter is in fact the same sp/dif that is used by bnc/rca output. It's working happily with my arcam dac. (Still not sure what I like better, the ES(modded) alone or though the dac...)

3. It seems that the 7812 regulators at the output stage aren't all that bad. Maybe I'll leave 'm alone.

6. The JRC opamp near the dac seems to be used for the variable out, which I’m not using.

7. I've ordered so high performance rectifier diodes from on-semi, seems like most people agree these rectifiers make a big difference.

That's it for now. I'll be posting more updates later.

PS: sorry to be the only one replying to my own thread, this is just for completeness....

Hi!

I'm also working on a tweak of SONY CDP-X303ES, I think this is a younger one, but the basic is same.
I found one of 5238 and 2pcs 5532 per channel.

I have no idea for better one instead of 5238.

I will be try the AD797 (8x) intead of NE5532 (4x) with Brown-Dog IC adapter when I got the package from US.

The digital and analog power supply is separated, but the transformator isn't.
I bought a 2x15V 20VA toroid transformer, and install it.

I'd like to install an external clock from ELSO KWAK, but unfortunately I also found 2, different clock on my PCB:
If I think right, the 45MHz crystal belong to D/A Converter (CXD2562Q), and the 16MHz crystal is for the digital filter (CXD2667M), and this 2 clock signal is syncronized (based on an discuss with an offical Sony repair technician).

I'm not sure, the KWAK-CLOCK (45MHz) will be works right in my system,,,,:-(((

Please advise!

Eric

Attachments

• pw-supply.jpg
    pw-supply.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 699
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.