Drawer problem - Marantz CD5000 CD4000 Philips CD723 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2016, 12:24 AM   #1
Ecaroh is offline Ecaroh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Drawer problem - Marantz CD5000 CD4000 Philips CD723

I had a CD5000 mechanism apart to deal with skipping and sticking in the transport. The drawer had to come out to get access. Now it wants to stop about 1/8" short of where it needs to end up. Anybody familiar with this problem? (The CD4000 uses the same drawer mechanism and transport, which is a CDM-12.1. Apparently the Philips CD723 does too.)

With the drawer out, the gears seem to work properly. The CD mechanism moves to upper and lower positions when it's supposed to. With the drawer in, you can move it in and out smoothly by turning the gear from below. But then it stops, meaning that the mechanism never comes back to upper position. As far as I know, I'm starting with the gears in the right position, i.e. turned all the way counterclockwise.

Attached here are reassembly instructions, in the event of taking the gears apart (which I didn't do). Thanks for any ideas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarantzCD5000DrawerMech.jpg (36.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Ecaroh; 2nd February 2016 at 12:26 AM. Reason: omission
Old 6th February 2016, 07:21 PM   #2
Ecaroh is offline Ecaroh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Solved.

SOLVED. In case someone finds this thread in the future: The instructions are misleading. Turning the gears fully counterclockwise will not result in the correct alignment. Find the notch-like irregularity in the upper gear, the one that contacts the drawer. Turn the gear all the way counterclockwise and then turn it the other way till the notch is at approximately 12 o'clock (see sketch) . Try inserting the drawer at that point. The correct alignment will have the end of the drawer slide lined up with the first tooth notch counterclockwise from the irregularity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarantzDrawerAlignment.jpg (9.5 KB, 14 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!