"DSD Direct" Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2004, 10:24 PM   #1
ljordan is offline ljordan  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "DSD Direct" Help

Is anyone interested in cooking up a circuit (opamp) to clean up and remove DC from the DSD signal in most SACD players.

See:
How do SONY current pulse DACs work?

http://www.vacuumstate.com/various/S...t-Brochure.pdf

I do not want to offend anyone at VSEI. This would be for personal use only.

I have a Sony DVP-NS900v. As I understand it this is not one of the prefered units. I can not find any evidence in the service manual that redbook is converted to DSD.

The two (L & R) signals do have 1.6 v dc on them.

I might start by tapping them with a cap.

Lewis
Old 13th October 2004, 02:40 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I am working on a similar angle for my sony scd-xb770 player*, I plan to tap the dsd stream directly. The dsd stream with no audio present should be producing an integrated output voltage equal to 1/2 of the supply voltage. I recommend an 50kHz -100KHz LPF filter in series with the dsd stream and a blocking cap at the output. I am looking at several topologies right now with a tube based 3rd order vcvs filter being one of the options. I am also looking at a 4th/5th order LCR with follower as another option, this is one I am less likely to persue unless I decide to wind my own inductors.

I have the service manual for this player and the multibit converters handle redbook in one mode and dsd in the other. I am not at all interested in cd playback as I have a lambda drive and assemblage dac that are hard to beat, so the fact that the cd chain is handled differently is not an issue for me. Also I plan to retain the stock outputs anyway.

The standards recommend 5th order filtering, but with a tube amplification chain I can probably get away with much less than even the 3rd order filters I am considering.

*No the scd-xb770 is not available in the states, I got mine from a fellow in the UK and have 230V conveniently available here. It's what I wanted..

Hide this!Advertise here!