D1 I/V-stage...output CAP's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry if this have been discussed earlier, but the search-engine isn't very good handling small words like D1.....

I have decided to give this D1-stage a try, but I wonder:

-Is this big outputcap really nessesary ?

-Is it adviceable to use a electrolytic capasitor this way ?

I am aware that some BG cap might be the best electrolytic choice, but I don't know where to buy theese....

If I could use smaller value, I could choose some better CAP's.....what about MCAP Supreme, or MCAP Supreme Silver......expensive so I really had to know how low I could go in uF.

Lyra

Attachments

• d1_iv-output_cap's2.jpg
    d1_iv-output_cap's2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 596
Hi Lyra,

The large output cap ensures full bass response into almost any impedance. Pass seems to like lower values of input impedance in his Amplifiers, esp. in the Zen series.

If you know the input impedance of the amplifier you will be hooking the DAC up to, then you can calculate the new cap value using

C = 1/(2*pi*f*R) where:
R is the input impednace of your amp.
f is the -3db point of lowest frequency you want. 1Hz is a good value.

eg. for 10k and 1Hz, you get 15.9uF as the required cap.

As for superior caps, the general concensus is BG's are the best you can get, although there are other contendors.
Also note the small valued bypass cap, which can be very high quality, and should help the sound quality at higher frequencies.

Cheers, Adrian

Hi,

I checked many electrolytics and best foil caps over the years. The supreme is a dream - but for what price. The BG´s shall sound very good too, but a bit to "clean". And the price... I found my solution like more and more guys worldwide and maybe the best buy: Panasonic FC. They sound really good. Very open and clean. Bypass them with a small ultra inductance free MKP foil cap like Vishay MKP1837 and you won't believe your ears. I use them everywhere in my D1-stage/Aleph P1.7/Aleph4 and do really miss nothing. Just this neutral clearness and transparence&dynamic listening to other caps.

So, for your D1 stage you need around 16V voltage capability of the electrolytic. Good by, 6,3V "cheap" BG NX stuff…

Regards

Klaus

Ok....think the Panasonic cap's are just as difficult to obtain here...et least I don't know who in Norway selling them.

If I order Black Gate's from here .....what is the difference between FK, N, NX, and NX Hi-Q ?
Whitch ones are good in whitch applications ?

What type should I choose, and should I bypass theese with a polyprop or something ?

It should not be a problem if I have to step up to 470uF/16V, or 680uF/35V here, should it ?

I am making the layout of the board, and need to know if I shall place the caps onboard...........

Lyra

Hi!
Panasonic caps are avilable in Norway through RS-components or Farnell. Theese companies do not sell to private persons, but maybe you know of somebody who run a small buisness who can order for you. If not they have an agent in my town, Haugesund, who take care of their sale to private persons. But that means double the postal charge. I get most of my parts through this agent.

Regarding Blackgates, I know many people in Norway order them from Parts Connexion and are very satisfied with the service from them. I ordered som blackgates through Audiocompaniet in Oslo, but this is not recommandeble. Took over two months, and didn`t get all the parts I had payed for.

Regards

Tor Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.