Analog filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
The CS43122 only needs a simple analog filter at the differential outputs. In the datasheet, it's two 300R in series with each output followed by 2200pf between + and -. When I put this in LTSPice, it shows a pretty big dB dip and phase shift at the high end.
Would it be allright to change this by say using a lower capacitance, or otherwise modifying the values? Or is there a reason not to do this?

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I'm using jwb's desing:
http://atari.saturn5.com/~jwb/43122.png
There are no opamps. The CS43122 has voltage output. jwb used the same passive filter as in the CS43122 datasheet (2 resistors and a capacitor), followed by a voltage follower.
When running this output stage in LTSpice, lowering the capacitor value slows falloff in the high frequencies. I was just wondering if there would be negative side effects in doing that (I want to even out the frequency response).

I do not think it is that bad. It falls less than a dB and 9degrees phase shift, or i might have done something wrong.

I am also kind of interested to see what people think of these low pass filters. If i look at the CS43122 spec it seems that if you are running it in mode0(whatever that is) the attenuation is at least 100dB in the stopband so i would guess that this circuit would not cause any trouble in any amplifier that follows it even without filter.

Is it important sounwise to have absolutely flat frequency response 20-20k?

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Yes, it falls just under a dB; however, I'm getting close to 24 degrees phase shift. Considering that the DC blocking output capacitors shift the low end phase to the other direction, that's pretty large.

I tried without a filter with my tube headphone amp, and didn't notice a problem. I'll be making the Aleph-X, so I wonder if that might be a problem.

As I don't have any smaller SMD caps for this, I wonder if it would be OK to just put two of these 2200pF in series.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.