NEW Stabilizers for Sony's Fixed Pickup Mechanism - First Prototype finished!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to produce new stabilizers or the Sony players using the "Fixed Pickup Mechanism"
The Sony CDP-X5000, Sony SCD-777ES and Sony SCD-1 are some famous players
using this mechanism.
A short movie of the working prototype can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zda77-xck1E

Anyone interested in them, thus I could start to produce a first batch...

All the best,
Salar

Here is a photo of the stabilizer...

Attachments

• Puck.jpg
    Puck.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have an SCD-777ES which I use solely to play SACDS (have a HAP-Z1ES for everything else.)

Is it safe at the higher speeds used with SACDs, what are the benefits, and the effect of additional mass on the life of the ruby bearing in the spindle motor are the questions I have. Projected cost?

Hello Philipp, helloKevinKr,

The weight of my stabilizer is almost exactly the half: 71,5gr
The original brass stabilizer weights 143,77gr.

Materials are a Teflon core and aluminium alloys 6060 or 5754
Teflon is smooth thus a tighter fit to the shaft / table of the disc motor.

Projected cost will be around 90€

Other stabilizers for the Fixed Pickup Mech I found so far were
in the same price range - again, mine is made of two parts with an allowed
tolerance on 0.05mm for proper balancing and not a single piece of polished metal.

Now, fitting models:
It definately fits the X5000, XA50ES, , XA7 because they share the same Base Unit BU12.
Max height is 13 mm like the original bras stabilizer, top diameter is 41mm. Will fit a tray.
You should also not forget that Sony sold bigger stabilzers themselves but there is rare information to be found.

As with the SCD-1 and SCD-777 I assume it will fit as well.
Both players use the same brass stabilizer, thus with a shaft diameter of
6mm I do not see a problem.
I am not sure about other Fixed Pickup Players,
because someone indicated that the motor shaft in other models can be 3mm.
As one example. the CDP-X3000 looks like a twin of the X5000 but has a different base Unit and the stabilizer looks different.
If shaft diameter of the X3000 is 6mmin , the stabilizer will fit as well.
But because of the Teflon core, different versions can be produced for different shafts.
BTW, also for other Mechs like CD-Pro 2 or Shigaclone

About rotational speed:Because the stabilizer is balanced, I do not see a problem with SACD.
About the ruby bearing:
I did buy the X5000 in 1997 because of this, but never found a reliable quote.
Some years ago I disassembled the X5000 for cleaning: (The following description should fit the XA-7 and XA-50 as well)

Some glass like material on the bottom, not red (I assume ruby bearings are always red?)
No bearing bush, (hope that is the right term, I mean a shell with a bottom to carry horizontal and vertical forces) or ruby on the shaft as counterpart.

A "simple" brass bearing for horizontal forces.

Those findings led me to the decision, to produce a lighter stabilizer.
Besides photos of the X5000/XA50/XA-7 disc motor, a drawing of the SCD- / SCD-777 Motor is attached.

All the best,
Salar

Attachments

• x5000-xa7es-xa50es-discmotor_407811.jpg
    x5000-xa7es-xa50es-discmotor_407811.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 472
  • x5000-xa7es-xa50es-discmotor_407810.jpg
    x5000-xa7es-xa50es-discmotor_407810.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 452
  • SCD777Drawing.jpg
    SCD777Drawing.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Hi!
I do not need a stabiliser, but I wondered whether anyone on here might be familiar enough with these Sony models to help out with a problem. I've just shipped my player across the atlantic and now that it has arrived it shows "no stabi" even when I have the stabiliser in place (both with and without CDs). Does anyone know what the problem might be or a fix for this?

Dear Rythm Willie,
sorry for the late reply.
Because of the size and velveteen bottom, he stabiliser will dampen the CD.

But frankly I am not a Vodoo-Guy. I doubt this effect will be audible or measurable at single speed. If a CD is warped, 71 grams is not enough to straighen it. But the smaller and heavier brass stabilizer won´t do that as well.
But my stabiliser protects the bearings of your player and the label side of your CD´s.
The player is quicker when jumping between tracks, because there is lesser mass to be slowed down or sped up.
Al the best,
Salar

Hi, I,m so sorry to refloat this post but I believe it makes no sense to start a new thread about the same question as Salar did. I wonder if your prototype fits the sony cpd-xa5es. I lost mine and I´m struggling - with no luck- to get info of it. (weight, diameter, heith) to attempt to "rudimentary" make one. Dou you know what is the key to have these stabilizers working properly?. I also have a cpd-xa30es and unfortunately that stabilizer won´t fit in the xa5es.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
a prototype for the XA50 / XA 5 has been finished.
In the moment, metals industry in Germany is in an economic boom,
order books are filled.
I guess it will take 4-6 weeks until the first batch is made.
The final design will use a bearing made of Polyoxymethylene for better fit.

ok then i´m waiting for a quote for the combo: stabilizer & magnets.

Hallo Johnny Bav0,
sorry for the late reply. At first glance at the service manual @elektrotanya I would say no.
Looks like the mech and the CD-axis of the CDP-XB930 (BU-14D) is different
to the XA-50ES or X5000 (BU-12). But I think any 2-k glue will do the job to
settle the magnet back into the hull of the stabilizer

I am very sorry to tell all XA-50ES owners that the guy who had to
mill the stabilizers for this player left me completely high and dry.
Other companies do not meet my demands.
So I will have to mill stabilizers for the XA-50 myself, but it will again take some time
for me to learn the machinery.

But there is still plenty of stabilizers for the CDP-X5000 available

The stabilizer for the X-5000 would fit the XA-50 but a light barrier
for detecting the stabilizer is in the way. Now, this is a diy place.
With the XA-50ES there seems to be enough space on the pcb mounted above the mechanism to move the LED and photodiode of the light barrier out of the way and resettle them a few mm more to the left and to the right. But this needs some improvisation, a steady hand for soldering new connections, drilling even new holes into the pcb and probably some glue. So for those who do not want to take the risk I am sorry to say that nothing will happen before the first quarter of 2019. I am still working on finding ways in swapping the diodes of classical Sony lasers (like the BU-1C) and this consumes time as well.
So, don´t throw away your beloved machines...

Last edited:
Coming,
today (Feb12) I gave the brass to the company that does the CNC-milling.
It will take about a week.
This stabilizer is made for the top end models
SACD-1 / SCD-777 / XA-50ES / XA5-ES.
A specialty of my brass stabilizer is a bearing in the center hole for
tighter fit and a velvet bottom to protect the label side.
All original stabilizers do not have this.
All the best,
Salar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.