Why the USB/I2S card died ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a Revox B226 cdp that does not read CD. I tried to fix it but no luck and it was taking dust on a shelf.

Recently, I have ordered from Ebay a DAC with an USB/i2S interface card based on XMOS circuit. Having this card at hand, I wanted to know if it is possible to modify the Revox cdp into an USB NOS DAC. I tried the modification, it was quite easy (see picture).

I connected my laptop using Foobar and it worked fine, I got the music for a week. I thought that all was OK, then I closed the cdp chassis. I still got music for the two following days but suddenly the music stopped, the laptop did not find the USB card anymore. I tried everything but no luck. I contacted the seller, he said that the USB card is not compatible with the TDA1541 ! Why it worked then for more than a week?

Can somebody help me to understand what was the problem ? I suspected a component overheat on the USB card.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• USB_TDA1541_R.jpg
    USB_TDA1541_R.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 93
I have made the same mod to another cdp using another type of usb card. I put this usb card in the Revox but I could not get any music because this card is not compatible with the TDA1541 in the Revox but it did not kill the second usb card.

I asked the seller to provide me the schematic of the usb card but no reply. I will measure voltage across caps as you suggested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.