Which Philips is the best ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

The 820 with Mabuchi sounds definitely worse than the 650 with brushless.

Motors with brushes make a lot of noise.

Acoustical and electrical (RF).

Radio controled cars ( toys ) have ceramic caps across the Mabuchi motor terminals and to ground from each terminal.

The transports do not.

Little history:

I went to Munich to buy my first cdp in 1986 or so.
No informations from www this time...

Was scanning the shops with no idea what to buy.

Close to the main train station, there was a small shop in a back yard, owned by an arabic salesman.

After having seen a lot of 400 buck technics and other japanese stuff, this guy convinced me to buy the 1000 buck cd304. Without mkII yet.

Already got my zero automatic Thorens turntable with moving coil pick up from him a few years earlier, when I had a fancy Dual with full automatic and digital rpm display in my mind.

This CD304 served me until 2002 and I never had the feeling to need anything better.

My next CDP was the mkII with digital out from a flea market for 25 bucks :xeye:

Now I'm looking for something more comfortable, with a-->b repeat and direct title selection.

Hope the 880 will do well.

The Technics SL-P770, the DENON DCD 685 and the Philips CD830 did not.

Bernhard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The 820 with Mabuchi sounds definitely worse than the 650 with brushless.

Are the motors the only difference ?!?! In other words, is the mabuchi motor the cause of deterioration of the sound quality ?

Although I have a preference for brushless motors as well I think you slightly exxagerate the difference in quality because of the motor alone.

There is not much really wrong with CDM 4/XX. In fact they are better than a lot of sophisticated mechanics with linear motors, brushless spindle motors etc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I would not want to give up on galvanic isolation. Just the fact that grounds are separated with a transformer is enough for me. The actual location of the transfomer ( cdplayer or DAC ) is less relevant IMO. It seems to be common practice to have it in the cdplayer but several brands think different about the subject.

You should have compared both situations in your CD882 with a third option: a good transformer. To compare a plain bad transformer with a direct connection will be in favor of the direct connection I guess.

You can't advice on removing the transformer if you haven't done the comparison with a proper one.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bernhard, do us and yourself a favor and try the Search function. It really works, at least for me it does. These subjects have been chewed on, spit out and chewed on again in various threads.

No need for repeating the same thing over and over again. It is all here.

Click the link Bernhard, don't be afraid. Just do it ;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/search.php?s=

Or try the direct link on Lundahl LL1566 if you are not that brave :D

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12229&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenumber=2

Just joking Bernhard but diyaudio.com would be better off without 10 threads about the same things. Maybe it is good advice to gather the wanted info and save it into one document. I sometimes do and I make a PDF of it for readability. Comes handy for future reference ...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The search function is not very comfortable, often you get mismatching results and have to search the whole thread.

That has its advantages as well like seeing opposite opinions on the matter that might open ones eyes or lead into the desired direction. Often there are more solutions possible.

One has to do some effort in obtaining info like reading some posts.

Re: CD880

Lourens said:
Here you can see a lot of nice pictures of the CD880 interior.
One thing puzzles me: the Internal ROM-software link shows a picture of an IC I do not have in my CDD882.
Is it part of the DAC?

That is the ROM which hold the code for the internal controllers.
I guess you have a processor in your 882 which has the ROM internal. No big deal.

Only a player with external ROM can be repaired if the controller fails. Just read the ROM while it is still working fine. Then you can always repair the ROM and controller.

BTW, i have a report somewhere of an audio mag from that area. They listened to a modded cd880 (eringa filter). The mod brought an improvement, but a stock marantz cd80 (same area, many components equal) was still preferred.

Keep lookin!

Greetings,

Re: Re: CD880

guido said:

BTW, i have a report somewhere of an audio mag from that area. They listened to a modded cd880 (eringa filter). The mod brought an improvement, but a stock marantz cd80 (same area, many components equal) was still preferred.

Is this CD80 the Marantz version of the Philips CD880?
Like my good old Marantz CD74 (made in Japan) is equivalent to Philips CD304, or CD84 to CD304 mkII?
Was there a Marantz version of the CDD882 transport (made in Belgium)?
In those days nearly all Marantz models were designed by the same teams and rolled out of the same (Philips owned) plant as their Philips equivalent, as far as I know.

Lourens

Here's my Marantz CD-94

Attachments

• cd94.jpg
    cd94.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,165
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.