Which Philips is the best ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Lourens said:

Only the lay out? I am especially interested in the configuration of digital out (S/PDIF) and component quality [the output transformer in particular ;)]

Don't ask things you already know Lourens ;) There is not a single Philips cdplayer ( that I know of ) from that time that has a SPDIF transformer that can be called "good". Component quality is standard Philips. CD80 has 6800 uF Elna For Audio and IIRC the CD880 has other cheaper types. Never mind, with the age they have you have to change most electrolytics anyway.

See it like this: CD80 was more exclusive and it was produced under the Marantz brand name. Logically it had some better parts, Marantz did not want to be infected with the Philips reputation. They were Philips machines in disguise with ( generally ) better looks and a more audiophile approach in some aspects. Philips customers were not the same as Marantz customers and of course Marantz used that brand awareness to sell their products to the more serious audio enthousiasts.

Is the thingie in the upper right corner a spdif transformer ?

Does it have to be adjusted ?

I have a Denon dcd 920, the transformer is marked on the board as such.

Is it better ?

Is the 11.xxxxx MHz crystal worth keeping for some re-clocking or other purpose ?

Bernhard

Attachments

• xformer.jpg
    xformer.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,131
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bernhard said:
Is the thingie in the upper right corner a spdif transformer ?

Does it have to be adjusted ?

Is the 11.xxxxx MHz crystal worth keeping for some re-clocking or other purpose ?

Bernhard

It is a SPDIF transformer as indicated in the service manual. It needs to be replaced ( if you plan to use SPDIF ) as it is garbage. You don't work without schematics, do you ? FYI : Ultranalog sells a cd with all the Philips manuals you need including the models you own.

Search for digital transformer and you'll find some threads about the subject. Just 2 pages ago this was discussed, read that again please. Adjustment makes no sense.

You can keep the crystal but canned low jitter clocks are much much beter. A Philips/Marantz with original clock does not sound real good. Mounting a new clock will make your cdplayer sing. In my words it is 50% of possible mods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.