Nad CD 521 BEE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I tried to use my NAD C521BEE CD Player today for the first time in 3 years, when i first turned it on there were no sign of life. I turned it off and on again and it came up flashing broken lines. Then a good 30 seconds later it showed all track numbers of the CD inside.

I pressed play and it took a good one minute or so to start first track, so i tried to forward to next track, it showed the track number which just flashed along with flashing broken lines, but would not play at all.

Would this be a case of dirty lens?

Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I doubt it, a dirty lens would not cause "when i first turned it on there were no sign of life". You then turned it on and off and got a different symptom... flashing broken lines.

First line of attack would be to look at the power supply with the finger of suspicion pointed to the electrolytic caps.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Should be straightforward but as always... you first need to take the top off and initially look and see if any look bulged or distressed in any way. Following that, a basic check of the DC voltages from the power supply is in order to confirm they are all correct.

And just to be sure :)

"when i first turned it on there were no sign of life".

I'm interpreting that to mean the player was totally dead ! A dirty lens would not cause that however a lens or pickup problem can cause poor reading of discs.

So if you meant 'not quite dead' ;) and just not reading discs, then yes, by all means clean the lens carefully with a cotton bud moistened with suitable fluid.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.