Absolute phase: I'm suspecting to have inverting CD player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't want to speak regarding audibility of absolute phase, because I do, and I proved to myself with blind test.

But my system inverts somewhere: i have a CD track test with 3 positive 80Hz pulse followed by a negative one, and only if I invert the cables I have the speaker moving 3 times forward and one time backward (and this is my preferring way to listen too).

Well, I have the schematic and opened all my audio chain: the speaker doesn't invert; the amplifier doesn't invert; the two-opamp 4 pole filter inside the CD player after PCM1710 DAC do not invert.

I don't think it is my computer where I have masterized the CD test: if I open the CD-track with an audio software I really see 3 peaks up and 1 peak down.

So it is anything between the laser detection and the ouput of PCM1710 DAC.

Do you have an idea where it could invert the phase and if it is visible in the schematic??

My CD is C525BEE but schematic should be identical to this:http://hifigoteborg.se/nad_manuals_self/C521BEE.pdf

Attached my audio chain, which DOES NOT INVERT THE PHASE (unless the change I deliberately did at louspeaker to maintain absolute phase)

Attachments

• TubaAmplifierschematic.jpg
    TubaAmplifierschematic.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 151
Can be the speaker itself that is inverted.

Sometimes it is by design, other times it is by China

No.

The speaker itself is moving correctly in phase with its input jack, just used a 1.5 V battery, plus with red, minus with black, and it moves upward.

It must be something inverting before the 4 pole filter inside the CDplayer.

All the following chain is in absolute phase.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
People pay too much attention to absolute phase in their systems. I am not saying that it cannot be heard, but that since the absolute phase will vary from recording to recording (and many will have a miss-mash) it will never be right allt he time. So if you play one song the phase may be correct, but the next could be the opposite.

If it concerns you you will need an absolute phase switch somewhere in your system and you should go thru your music collection and mark each as to its phase.

dave

No.

The speaker itself is moving correctly in phase with its input jack, just used a 1.5 V battery, plus with red, minus with black, and it moves upward.

It must be something inverting before the 4 pole filter inside the CDplayer.

All the following chain is in absolute phase.

Exactly how are you using that test signal to determine the absolute phasing of your system chain? Are you using an o-scope on the signal path? Is the phase inverted at the PCM1710 output pins?

Exactly how are you using that test signal to determine the absolute phasing of your system chain? Are you using an o-scope on the signal path? Is the phase inverted at the PCM1710 output pins?

Unfortunately I use only my fingers on the speaker. And it goes backwards with a positive to plus 1.5V battery from amplifier's RCA too.

Also the schematic shows that my tube amp is not inverting..

So should be only the CD player, but the 4 pole filters are not inverting. So it is something behind... Thus I can say that the phase is inverted at the PCM1710 output pins.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Your test seems simple and straight forward. The only thing I can say is that sometimes I have trouble sensing cone movement direction by hand - on quick impulses. Can you use some other method to check?

I don't know why your DAC would invert, but without an oscilloscope it may be hard to tell. Can you find or borrow another playback device to see how it behaves?

Unfortunately I use only my fingers on the speaker. And it goes backwards with a positive to plus 1.5V battery from amplifier's RCA too.

Also the schematic shows that my tube amp is not inverting..

So should be only the CD player, but the 4 pole filters are not inverting. So it is something behind... Thus I can say that the phase is inverted at the PCM1710 output pins.

Maybe it's my interpretation of what you wrote above, but I think the speaker membrane should go "out" when you connect the battery; plus to plus and minus to minus....

Nick

.... also, I think the class A bias circuit you implemented is not necessary for the analog OP's. They are (their output stage) already biased in class A. I have no idea where this external bias into class A thing came from...the fact is many DIY-ers do it... I call it an OP rape.

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.