Marantz CD-65DX transformer temperature?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, should I be concerned if my "new" Marantz CD-65DX gets pretty hot? Even if not playing a disk with just screen lighted. I measured 68℃ (155℉) at the surface of the transformer. The ambient temperature is 27℃. And plugged in a watt meter it shows 20-23 watts. Is this temperature normal for this player?:confused: It works fine and sings beautiful without any other problems... Thanks.

This comes several years late, but I found it by search function, as I currently have one of these players right in front of me (serviced it) and it has the exact same issue. Maybe a transformer flux loss due to age? But also all voltage regs get quite warm. Really odd. It's working well, also. So I guess it's normal. Hopefully noone will call me a thread-graveyard-digger now :p :p

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ok, I guess it is like like it is and no easy cure to fix it. I have a very good oscilloscope with the same phenomenon. Works OK but high temperature on the transformer.

You could check what section uses most power and then try to modernise that section. SAA7220 is an example.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.