Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Quality CD-Mechanisms are long gone - let us build one ourselves!
Quality CD-Mechanisms are long gone - let us build one ourselves!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2016, 04:01 AM   #631
kach22i is offline kach22i  United States
diyAudio Member

I just read though the last half dozen pages after being away for a while.

Salar and others have put a lot of thought and effort into this, and I thank you all for the entertaining ride along.

I've learned a lot along the way, but forgotten much more.

Just an observer, please keep up the good work.
Old 12th January 2018, 11:52 PM   #632
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

Project is still going on. Some drawbacks as I focused on Philips swing arms for entire 2017.
One main goal besides building something from scratch is that I can at least handle any problem related to the mechanism which is the blueprint for the rebuild.
If there will be no rebuild at all, at least there should be solutions for keeping those old Players running by replacing diodes / photodiodes or coils.
Because I could not handle the alignment of the diffraction grating, I switched over to the Philips swing arm which does not have a diffraction grating.
But after the long time mentioned above and after learning how to repair many faults I stumbled over the problem that one swing arm I own
does not read discs despite everything is electronically perfect and also mechanical alignment seems to be in the sweet spot.
The next step would be to replace the roller bearings of a swing arm because micro movements are suppressed.
But this cannot be done easily as one bearing is pressed or even weldered to a thin plate.
So I switched back to Sony´s linear mechs in December...
The story continues but still has not left the stage
where simply old electronics will be used almost unaltered...
Still looking for folks with knowledge to join the boat!

Last edited by Salar; 12th January 2018 at 11:55 PM.

Quality CD-Mechanisms are long gone - let us build one ourselves!Hide this!Advertise here!