Practical Implementations of Alternative Post-DAC Filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joe, all,
The reason the thread was paused earlier was due to the amount of personal conflicts. No moderators wish this thread be touched as long as it can remain a technical discussion.

Joe, you have a modified DAC I think, don't you? If you do, or can get access to one, could you please set up some files we can try? Something of decent quality and that represents these effects well. If you have already done so, then please point me in that direction. It's important to have some standard files to listen to, and I'll even try a listening test in hopes that it moves the thread along.

Let's have the peanut galleries quiet down for a couple days in order to allow those members who wish to, a chance to have a listen.

-Chris

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Measurements are a key part of electronics. From the very first steps, two resistors in series, we are trained to do measurements. So is it so surprising that when somebody abandons this approach for something resembling witchcraft that the professionals should object?

Sorry, two resistors measurement is very different than measure something in this approach. Can you f. ex. suggest what to be measured it here? We have seen the FR drop when applying this filter. It is this the right thing which may explain an existing/non existing effect? Are harmonics involved here? Which kind? How? And so on... Only questions, but no answers so far...
What we may actually measure which may relate to the supposed effect, and prove it so its existence or non existence?
What about if one individual, using his knowledge may initiate measurements and it may not be right way to go? We may have some results, which show nothing...
What a blind test may reveal? 1 - The existence of this effect. So what? How we may measure such, and where to look for? 2 - The effect does not exist, even though it is very obvious for so many others. Then no any measurements may be needed or done it. We may be in such situation as we are now: we have nothing, but some claims.

In my opinion all this should be discussed and analysed first, to establish a general accepted measurement procedure, and what to look for, before proceeding to the in fact measurements, and eventual expensive tests. For this task to be done or finalized it need more experiments and preliminary testing. The whole thing is not just plug and play... or plug and measure... (like two resistors together).

At least Joe started to think or proceed to some tests and measurements. On his own. Shall we press him for immediate results, sitting, waiting to watching the "show"? Such task is not something one should be pressed to do it... Maybe he need help to do it right.. Maybe he need more informations to do it the right way...
Joining efforts it may be much more efficient and civilised in this task, than hunting one man, asking him to "produce" results...

Last edited:
Coris said:
A minority of very few guys it want to impose their will to shut down the discussion they are not interested into, or they do not want it for vary reasons.
The only people who want to shut down discussion are those who insist on 'try it before you discuss it' or 'believe it because X says it is true'. Nobody is saying "you can't say that"; all we say is "you have said it; now back it up with evidence instead of anecdote and mere repeated assertion if you want to be taken seriously".

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This discussion it was already shut it down few times before (even this thread) obviously not because few members have posted some posts, suggesting others experimenting with this approach... But because personal attacks, and struggling out of topic posts.

Your particular perception of the real life it may be at least quite strange (to say so in a polite manner...).

This it was actually the meaning of this thread since it started....

OK from simple analysis and a few sims there is no reason to expect any measurement to show more than the expected 1.5 or so dB roll-off. I already know the stock ESS reference board does <-110dB on any spurious signals. So what's the plan after that?

Measure a change in deep sub-Hz jitter using music signals as a stimulus, good luck.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I already know the stock ESS reference board does <-110dB on any spurious signals.
I used to have one of those reference boards, but never measured it for spurious signals. Should have.

This raises a question in my mind. Why would this mod work across so many types of DACs? Aren't there some that are already good enough? Or that don't have whatever problem this is said to fix.

I can tell you that when I built a few ESS prototypes and took one to RMAF to run an exhibit room, it wasn't all that well liked. Most people found it too soft, with not enough bite, attack or dynamics. I just thought it was "smooth". :)
Never had those comment with other chips.

OK from simple analysis and a few sims there is no reason to expect any measurement to show more than the expected 1.5 or so dB roll-off. I already know the stock ESS reference board does <-110dB on any spurious signals. So what's the plan after that?

Measure a change in deep sub-Hz jitter using music signals as a stimulus, good luck.

Yeah, it's not lighting up anything for me. Helping to knock out NOS images, sure, but even then not tremendously (given the order).

As for the latter, isn't that the domain of GPS, world clocks, etc?

Testing is neither expensive nor difficult. That's why Joe's avoidance of it is so puzzling.

Pleasing you is exactly not top of my list.

I have an 85 year old person here and she comes before you. She will be going back to Denmark end of November after major complications after a hip operation down here. My primary responsibility is to get her ready to travel. It puts everything else here into context.

Not avoiding anything - and you are not getting anywhere badgering me and I have tons of emails that are upset with you carrying a Moderator's badge.

Your lack of people skills are putting off a lot off people.

You want cooperation? Be nice... that way you get the best out of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.