Audiolab CD8200 - 'update' then dead box!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I turned on my wonderful Audiolab CD8200 last week to be greeted with what looked like a software update message. I was 'invited' to press and hold a button (Play? Stop?) for a few seconds as it counted down, and then... the display then went blank and I am now the proud (and distressed) owner of a black metal box with a red pilot light - I can't even remove the disc that was in the unit.

I contacted Audiolab, thinking they could send instructions to upload the software via the USB port - no such luck. To return the unit to working order apparently requires two visits to Huntingdon (or trust couriers not to sling it around), £45 per hour service time plus VAT. Counting the cost of taking two days off work, that's about what I paid for the player when I bought it direct from Audiolab.

Dilemma - pay for my player twice? throw it in the bin? buy a perfectly functional other brand player for half the cost of repair?:confused:

What's most galling is that there was no warning of the consequences - it surely shouldn't be this easy for a user to totally wreck a very expensive piece of kit. We're so used to accepting updates on TVs, satellite boxes, phones, computers and so much of my sound kit is network-connected, I completely forgot that the Audiolab wasn't!:mad:

So, I am an idiot - but is this really the end? any Audiolab experts out there? Can anyone offer any sensible suggestion?

Thanks for listening! :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
How did the player know about the SW update ?

Has it got web connectivity and the update was offered automatically, or have you tried to update it yourself somehow ?

Looking at the specs it does say it has the ability to be updated but via a USB port.

I got a dead 8200CDQ. Service in NZ is a joke, Monaco are unbelievably bad service agents and I had to email Audiolab service dept who were very good about helping out with covering the cost of parts. I think mine is a power supply issue too. Its just the red power led on. I'd be curious to know if anyone else is having problems with these players, they seem well made, shunts all over the place, lots of aluminum, weight etc, although no audiophile parts, ie Elon caps are used extensively.

How did the player know about the SW update ?

Has it got web connectivity and the update was offered automatically, or have you tried to update it yourself somehow ?

Looking at the specs it does say it has the ability to be updated but via a USB port.

Hi - thanks for your reponse Mooly

Well, clearly, the player didn't know about a software update! Much of my kit is network connected and knowing the Audiola had a USB port didn't think about it until later!

The message said something about Software version and seemed 'stuck' pressed something and display changed to Press and hold xxx button, which I did, as the display counted down 10 seconds, then wham!

What appears to have happened is that I have deleted the software and this needs to be reinstalled. According to Audiolab, this can only be done at their service centre and not by a user via the USB port.

My gripe is that it ought not to be possible to so easily and without any real warning kill a high-spec piece of kit in this way.

It can be repaired (almost certainly a software upload and nothing to do with the power supply) but at significant cost which, if I count my time, is what the unit cost to buy new.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmmm...

So did it come up with this message on its own, or were you trying odd button press combinations... sorry had to ask :) and from there somehow managed to delete the software.

If it came up with this on its own then it sounds like a design problem, if you managed to access some 'service menus' a bit to easily and by accident, then that too would rank as a design flaw in my book.

What I'm trying to say is did the software jump, or was it pushed ;)

I've been trying to remember the precise details... I don't think the message was as specific as 'A software update is available - do you wish to update'. I recall the player seemed to be taking a very long time to get ready and this, combined with the display showing 'software version' or some such and then 'press and hold button' was just too close to what you see on your phone every week... Yes it was probably an unlucky choice of button to press and hold - but I wouldn't have known or done it without some kind of prompt...

Dead Audiolab 8200CD

Follow-up - Audiolab finally responded after a letter to the Group CEO, with an offer to repair the unit FOC collect and return if I paid carriage both ways (or took it to them, when they would have done it within half an hour while I waited) - a good proposal which I took up.

A good result but one I would have expected to have been made in teh first place given the cost of the player (which was bought direct from Audiolab) and their brand reputation.

I got a dead 8200CDQ. Service in NZ is a joke, Monaco are unbelievably bad service agents and I had to email Audiolab service dept who were very good about helping out with covering the cost of parts. I think mine is a power supply issue too. Its just the red power led on. I'd be curious to know if anyone else is having problems with these players, they seem well made, shunts all over the place, lots of aluminum, weight etc, although no audiophile parts, ie Elon caps are used extensively.

Dear friend, have You ever repared Your cd, because I have had the same problem. Only red power led on. I would be very grateful to you for your help.

I expressed myself badly.whether anyone made a cd without sending it to a service center, i mean D(id)IY.

It seems this thread talks about two separate issues. One issue caused by software update and corrupted .... whatever... maybe PAL was damaged and had to be replaced. Or they had to reprogram EEPROM or GAL... This is just my assumption...

The second issue, like the one saleni is having, might be related to a power supply section, or standby section logic not working.

Saleni, how / when did you start having this problem? Did you also try to upgrade the firmware?

Would you be ready to attempt to fix the CD player yourself, like... go inside, take photos, measure things and post here, so that we could help? Or, you don't have a clue about electronics,i.e. you are just after a suggestion?

Pozdrav,
Nick

It seems this thread talks about two separate issues. One issue caused by software update and corrupted .... whatever... maybe PAL was damaged and had to be replaced. Or they had to reprogram EEPROM or GAL... This is just my assumption...

The second issue, like the one saleni is having, might be related to a power supply section, or standby section logic not working.

Saleni, how / when did you start having this problem? Did you also try to upgrade the firmware?

Would you be ready to attempt to fix the CD player yourself, like... go inside, take photos, measure things and post here, so that we could help? Or, you don't have a clue about electronics,i.e. you are just after a suggestion?

Pozdrav,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I solved the problem with audiolab, not alone, but a service technician.
The problem was with the Passive Crystal Quartz Oscillator. It's changed and it's working now.

Best wishes,Sale

Hi Saleni!

I have the same problem with my 8200CDQ... only the red light indicator. The unit is like new and works only a few months. Probably is the same issue like yours... Passive Crystal Quartz Oscillator. The part numeber from service manual is Crystal 84.6720MHz but I couldn't find it anywhere. I can change the parts by myself but I need to contact the Audiolab service and ask them to send me the part. Do you still have the contact from service that solve your unit? I Know this is an old thread but I would be grateful if you could help me with this information.

Best regards,
Albert.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.