Help - need to repair Rotel RCD 930ax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help - need to repair Rotel RCD 900ax

I bought this Rotel 900ax player in Cambridge in April 2000. It has given me great service and many hours of enjoyment.

However, recently it has started misbehaving - it sometimes displays "No Disc" when I insert a CD.
Sometimes it recognises TOC but does not play, sometimes does not even recognise TOC, but still mostly plays (both CDs and CD-Rs), and once it starts playing it does not skip at all. The lens is 100% clean - I guess the laser is becoming weak. Any comments?

I have ordered a original Sony KSS-210A optical block, just in case I need to replace the same. However, I do not have a service manual for this player. Does one need the manual for making this replacement or can any repair guy make the replacement without refering to the service manual? Can someone help with a service manual anyway. Rotel is not represented in New Delhi, India where I stay.

To help me figure out the possible problem I had shown the player to a Sony service center and after inspecting the player I was told that the lens is OK and that it needed slight adjustment which was carried out at no charge - nice friendly chap. Told me to keep one lens handy just in case a replacement is required at a later date. But the problem with the CD player still exists.

However, after this 'slight adjustment' I think (though still not sure) that in some CD's, between the tracks the floor sound is dead quiet, while when the track is ending (ie when the music is soft) there is some noise. Could a tracking problem exist in the player or is it the recording. Is this possible? Or am I just imagining this. But this happens only with some CDs - I still need to check this out!

Hope to get some help from you guys out there - I really want to get this machine working properly.

Sanjiv
New Delhi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.