my ak4490 build... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2015, 10:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
merlin2069er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Default my ak4490 build...

I thought I'd share a photos of my dac...in progress.

Click the image to open in full size.

Just waiting for case...

Mostly diyinhk stuff here, ultra low +/- 12/15v supply for the discrete op amp (sparkos labs dual), 3.5/5v ultra low to power the ak4490 dac, and HiFimeDIY i2s/DSD Isolator. DAC power transformer picked up on ebay!

HDMI input will be supplied by my Gustard u12.

That's it for now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 11:47 PM   #2
Oceanw is offline Oceanw  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Oceanw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
I thought I'd share a photos of my dac...in progress.

Click the image to open in full size.

Just waiting for case...

Mostly diyinhk stuff here, ultra low +/- 12/15v supply for the discrete op amp (sparkos labs dual), 3.5/5v ultra low to power the ak4490 dac, and HiFimeDIY i2s/DSD Isolator. DAC power transformer picked up on ebay!

HDMI input will be supplied by my Gustard u12.

That's it for now.
Im following. Got also Sparkos dual op-amp and it lifted ebay wolfson dac to next level. My Gustard unfortunately had to go back to warranty check due to constant freezing. When it worked it was great: like relaxed but still detailed sound.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 08:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
hollowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Blog Entries: 5
Default AKM AK4490 -- a Delta-Sigma sorority queen?

The "new" ~$5.00/ea. AKM AK4490 DAC chip is interesting.
More info from the official AKM site is here:
AK4490EQ--AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices

"High-end" headphone DAC/amps (TEAC) and Astell&Kern's latest $3k model 380 DAP are among the heavy-hitters using this chip (or two, dual-mono / diff. arrangement in the A&K?).

An eBay seller lists this "Assembled AK4490EQ II2S DAC board support 32BIT 768K decoder" for $30 (no tax and free Ship):
Click the image to open in full size.

Hmmm ... wonder how this compares to the TDA1387 parallel DAC some (here on DIYA, I'm afraid) have been so ... uh ... cultish about.

Anyway, back to this chip and the kit-board eBay offering from China. They seem like easy, drop-in devices (PS, I2S, output) for CD player mods. Would be interesting if some of you multi-bit fanatics would succumb to breaking out your treasured NOS TDA1541A DACs, or Philips CD-650 ... throw in one of these boyz ... and report back results.

AKM seems like an honest company--one with a respectable history in audio, and genuinely interested in "2-CH premium DACs".

AKM, like AD, ESS, Crystal, TI [it's certain these mega-corporations are aware of the subjective criticisms/debates of classic multi-bit vs. delta-sigma.], could have invested in pure multi-bit R2R topology, and made it cost-effective ... but they stuck with Delta-Sigma.

Delta-freakin'-Sigma
Delta-Sigma

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Implementation usually triumphs DAC architecture. Or did you forget about the Counterpoint DA-10 with swappable DAC modules?
Click the image to open in full size.

Delta-Sigma rules ... so time to join the sorority gurlz...

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
"I got banned from a Hi-Fi forum. And I liked it."
- Luv, Katy "Hollowman" Perry

Last edited by hollowman; 26th August 2015 at 09:08 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 01:39 AM   #4
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melb
Hollowman,

The AK4490 from Ebay I bought one myself, I suggest you give it a pass. It has very smooth performance/sound maybe a little more detail, that's all nothing spectacular from this DAC chip.
I still prefer my AK4396 over this AK4490. Both were fed from the same XMOS adapter and playing mainly CD resolution tracks, i.e. at 16bit 44.1Khz.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 12:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
merlin2069er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Default more progress...

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.


Got the case for it, it's partially hooked up. Need to connect the i2s to the dac and the jacks to the dac.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 12:24 AM   #6
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
tomchr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
AKM, like AD, ESS, Crystal, TI [it's certain these mega-corporations are aware of the subjective criticisms/debates of classic multi-bit vs. delta-sigma.], could have invested in pure multi-bit R2R topology, and made it cost-effective ... but they stuck with Delta-Sigma.
There's a reason for that. Look into the matching required to get beyond 10-11 bits of precision out of a resistor ladder and it quickly becomes apparent why delta-sigma is used in precision DACs. It's not that the manufacturers won't develop precision processes. It's that they're up against a pretty hard wall of physics.

Tom
__________________
Modulus-86: Composite amp achieving 0.000067 % THD. Damn Good 300B, Novar Spud, 21st Century Maida Reg., Filament Reg., etc.
Neurochrome : : Audio - http://www.neurochrome.com - Engineering : : Done : : Right
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 08:04 PM   #7
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
The "new" ~$5.00/ea. AKM AK4490 DAC chip is interesting.
More info from the official AKM site is here:
AK4490EQ--AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices

"High-end" headphone DAC/amps (TEAC) and Astell&Kern's latest $3k model 380 DAP are among the heavy-hitters using this chip (or two, dual-mono / diff. arrangement in the A&K?).

An eBay seller lists this "Assembled AK4490EQ II2S DAC board support 32BIT 768K decoder" for $30 (no tax and free Ship):
Click the image to open in full size.

Hmmm ... wonder how this compares to the TDA1387 parallel DAC some (here on DIYA, I'm afraid) have been so ... uh ... cultish about.

Anyway, back to this chip and the kit-board eBay offering from China. They seem like easy, drop-in devices (PS, I2S, output) for CD player mods. Would be interesting if some of you multi-bit fanatics would succumb to breaking out your treasured NOS TDA1541A DACs, or Philips CD-650 ... throw in one of these boyz ... and report back results.

AKM seems like an honest company--one with a respectable history in audio, and genuinely interested in "2-CH premium DACs".

AKM, like AD, ESS, Crystal, TI [it's certain these mega-corporations are aware of the subjective criticisms/debates of classic multi-bit vs. delta-sigma.], could have invested in pure multi-bit R2R topology, and made it cost-effective ... but they stuck with Delta-Sigma.

Delta-freakin'-Sigma
Delta-Sigma

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Implementation usually triumphs DAC architecture. Or did you forget about the Counterpoint DA-10 with swappable DAC modules?
Click the image to open in full size.

Delta-Sigma rules ... so time to join the sorority gurlz...

Click the image to open in full size.
Was it the dac with the industrial dac chips 20 bits modules with Black Gates around ? Was said to sound very good !
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support. sonnya Vendor's Bazaar 862 Yesterday 11:21 PM
DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490 JensH Equipment & Tools 445 29th January 2016 10:34 AM
SU0 xmos u8 dac + AK4490 questions pentajazz Digital Source 20 9th November 2015 02:34 AM
MiniDSP USBStreamer + DIYINHK AK4490 dac multichannel SL06 Digital Line Level 4 3rd March 2015 10:53 AM
AK4490 for fun project (practical application) mikealanlee Digital Source 22 22nd December 2014 10:57 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:04 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2016 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Wiki