Sony CDP X777ES won't read disc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
luck was on my side and I found a very nice condition X777ES, powers up but it won't read any disc... while it spins it seems to be a little bit noisy... anyone know of someone to repair this in Canada? Anywhere else? :confused:

Attachments

• Sony CDP-X777ES.jpg
    Sony CDP-X777ES.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 273
admittedly I know nothing about a CDP and will have to put this project on the back burner for a couple weeks as I'm moving.

A bit about myself, 29yrs experience as an optical-electro technician in the army mainly repairing mechanical type survey/aiming devices, high reliability soldering certified, ability to use DVM, oscillioscope, etc... electronics is not my forte but I can fake it lol!

I have the owners and service manual and will remove the bottom cover and give her another go but in the meantime if anyone has any advice I'll take it!!

it's a beautiful machine and if I don't fix it I'd like to seek out someone who can. :)

Hi
In my experience, read errors are sometimes mechanical faults particularly
how the disc is clamped. A marantz CD52Mk2 I have here needed a coin
glued to the hinge, otherwise would not work. With the cover off
being careful with your eyesight and voltages within? casework
see what happens when a disc gets loaded. Does it clamp the disc
well ? I think Sony use a magnetic clamp

You will need a schematic for assessing further , a multimeter
ideally a scope , and lots of patience. alternatively try and find your
Sony repair shop. Of all the CD players I have come across
Sony's have been the most reliable.

Cheers / Chris

I'll quote earlier posts re my admittedly novice approach to a similar problem with an X555es (same laser, I believe). Your symptoms sound very similar. My crude adjustments to two controller pots fixed my problem and the player continues to read disks correctly.

Please ignore the hyperlinks in the post. I wasn't able to remove them.

-dizmayed

CDP-X555es CD tracking problem and solution
I've had one of these since new. Began to skip horribly, failed to read Table of Contents, etc. Finally, wouldn't play any disk.

I read the comments re lubrication, etc, tried w/o success. I had nothing to lose, so I considered the focus/tracking gain trimmers on the servo board. Authoritative sounding advice on another forum warned against random fiddling with these adjustments. The Service Manual said "do not perform this adjustment." But I had nothing to lose.

RV202 is the "track and gain" adjustment. RV201 is the "focus gain" adjustment. With a disk loaded and spinning (but still not reading properly) I slowly turned RV202. No help. Then I turned RV201. I don't know for sure what it does, but at one extreme a slight scraping noise began. Is the laser rising enough to strike the disk? In a jiffy I found a setting that read the disk, TOC, etc.

The player has worked very well for several months. If you have one of these mis-behaving beautiful boat anchors, and have nothing to lose, give this fix a try and report back.
rewvhvcpWXgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
13th March 2014, 08:05 PM #12
eyozo7sbulVGWoB6jZA+wqkRLy4FFZ6GIsvcTEBuc+up5JFUKPUYtL8Qoj7dX1qhNPW1pubQv2zfr12lYSRMpgFAOQxXEuypsQJAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
Mooly
C4fM7obu0IMXhvtxUZDwcNBgVTMAOAgoROMnWKBUliFgmJg5AZBJWLGEpAlIGWLZqXGZ0hmaCEBwoOBQRPGpKwAY4NEQA7

diyAudio Moderator

No, its not the lens scraping the disc. What you are hearing is the servo (the coils in the pickup emit the sound).

Focus gain is a critical adjustment and an experienced tech can actually get a player 98% correct just by listening. You want to set the pot at the point where white noise/hash coming from the pickup just becomes audible and then back it off a degree or two. Tracking gain is pretty uncritical and has a wider margin. To low and the player will skip at the slightest movement, to high and the servo is unstable.

The adjustments in all players work the same way and follow the same principle.

The scope pictures in this thread shows the effect of alignment adjustments,
Sony CDP790 and KSS240 Restoration Project

rewvhvcpWXgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
14th March 2014, 05:16 PM #13
eyozo7sbulVGWoB6jZA+wqkRLy4FFZ6GIsvcTEBuc+up5JFUKPUYtL8Qoj7dX1qhNPW1pubQv2zfr12lYSRMpgFAOQxXEuypsQJAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
dizmayed
foFogYSDhgtWW4qLWwIHRkeQkkiTkZSRQZmamzadnp8qoaKjHKWmpxEAOw==

diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly for that. There are <so many> posts here and everywhere re this general problem, I never read yours.

"The adjustments in all players work the same way and follow the same principle, " you wrote. That unlocks a lot of possibilities for judicious tweaking when such problems can't be otherwise resolved.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.