USB noise (noisy ground)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just completed my USB to I2S converter and hooked it up to my dac.

With the USB pluged in to the computer there is noise, which follows the volume setting on my preamp, volume setting on the computer make no difference.

The noise is there with and without playing anything.

It isn't alot, but just knowing it is there annoys me.

Unpluging my USB thingy at the computer end, removes the noise completly.

I know there is a pretty big difference in ground from my system to the computer. I used to use the soundcard out to my preamp, and since my preamp only have one input I had to play it often and you can feel the difference with your fingers.

So I guess the noise is because of the huge ground difference, but what can I do about it?

I could use digital traffos, but with the I2S signal I have to use 3, which properly is the best option, but what about a quick fix of some sort?

I've used a pcm2707.

Did what it said in the datasheet, USB bus powered and I2S out, (started with SPDIF) schematic on the last two pages.

Since I don't use the interal DAC or opamps, I have left pin 26-31 open, the same goes for pin 4,6,7,8,18.

Apart from the size, it is very easy to do.

I used to use the cdrom in my computer as transport (taking SPDIF directly from the drive).

I haven't done any comparings yet, because I know the noise is there and is bugs me big time (especaly now that I know it is the sound of 102V AC)

But I can only imagne that it is better than that hated SPDIF.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.