Linn Mimik / Loewe Legro - Problem with drive control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello together,

my Linn Mimik / Loewe Legro CD-Player has a strange problem:

It shows no reaction to any button (not even "open") nor to the radio control.

If I switch the main switch the inserted CD plays as normal and after 20 seconds the display is reduced to 2 stripes ... it plays correctly to the end of the CD, but I can't adjust anything.

Could someone tell me, if there is anything like software reset: I think it's a bug in the drive control?

Thanks
Frank

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm not familiar with the player but a couple of general pointers...

1/ If any button is faulty (shorted or leaky) then that can inhibit the uprocessor and prevent any keyscan of the other buttons working.

2/ Lockups do occur frequently in lots of equipment. If removing the power completely for a few hours has no effect and you believe it is 'locked up' then removing any backup cap or battery and discharging that backup power line can be effective.

3/ 1st 'worst case but recoverable' involves doing the above and then making sure all residual voltage is removed from the uprocessor/s. Measure them first to ensure there is no high voltage remaining and then press some tin foil over all the pins of the chip for a few minutes.

4/ 2nd worst case is as above but also involves applying heat (hair drier) to the chip/s to increase internal leakage and remove any internal charge on the cmos transistor junctions within the chip.

If that doesn't work then either the diagnosis is wrong or there is an internal issue with the uprocessor.

Remember... uprocessors are probably the most reliable component in there... its very rare to get a failure. You have to eliminate every single other possibility before condemning the chip.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.