TEAC VRDS 10: transport on the cheap - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2015, 06:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Default TEAC VRDS 10: transport on the cheap

Hello ladies and gents,

another thread on VRDS 10 -CMK3.2 / KSS150A -.
Most of them are for issues, like mis-adjusted servo PCB or roten belts. This one is for setting an used and abused VRDS 10 to a very good transport on the cheap. No need for exotic stuff or shigaclone long build. At least I hope so.

Why?
I have a good old Marantz CD63 wich is heavly modded and plays like a charm, calling for insane priced players in the shops downtown to do the same. And I want to play files also so the need for a DAC, wich calls for a transport to get the most out of Red Book material.

How?
It seems that for years interest for CD players as transport has faded, now I read here and there that they are not that great, even sounds bad... abused units? Ok let's try by myself with a decent price one so I can resell it with no loss.
I've found a VRDS 10, with skipping problems and drawer problems, with remote, manual and two spare KSS150A. Not too expensive. Changed belts and adjusted per service manual, works flawlessly. (wich means other units may also be out of specs so the not that great sound?)...
As is with internal soundcard it sounded not as good as the Marantz, all worse but a kind of details in mids/highs now and then, like in the mud there were some details I've never noticed with the nice Marantz.
Added a mid-range DAC on the SPDIF: still not as good, still that detail I can guess not so far away, hard to describe.

First round of mods:
here I went with classic recipes, like on the Marantz wich is afterall modded to the bone :
- a PFM Flea clock with its dedicated supply,
- a full recap' with same/slightly higher capacitance (what I had in hands) and good specs (FC, FM, OsCon, ZLH) and few film caps on smaller values (filters and signal coupling, so I guess no harm on being film caps). I've also added larger lytics where Teac only provided ceramic tiny caps, then added X7R smd caps between IC's pins as close as possible. Better local PSU lines decoupling can't hurt.
- a lovely 75R BNC, I have BNC cables so...

So I am here:
that's a new transport! Details, space, room acoutics clearly audible, bass is now here, highs no more harsh. In that it beats the Marantz.
And what comes to my mind to describe the sound -a bit round/muddy bass and maybe slow/sweet sound- seems to describe... the output opamp of the DAC, OPA602. But it does output more details and info out of my CDs.

Where the next stop please?
All that was in my budget (cheap compared to shop's prices here in France), and maybe I can get a bit more out of the VRDS 10.
Damping? Feet? Another PSU for some parts like opamps's laser drive? SPDIF improvement? Snake oil? Oh no, no Snake Oil please
Sadly Audiofanatic seems away... was full of ideas but never explained them much. Anyone else with successful mods?

Thanks guys even if I'm the last one to use a VRDS...

=p
Matthieu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VRDS10.jpg (937.9 KB, 71 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!