Working on a linn karik - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2015, 09:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Working on a linn karik

Has anyone any service information for a Linn Karik?

I have one which is skipping intermittent. While it may need a laser (very hard to find now).

I hear they can need adjustment, capacitor replacement or have motor issues.

I have managed to check the 'eye' pattern which seems ok and the laser output is 1.4v as read it should be.

There are a number of pots but not sure which are which or what to measure. I gather one may adjust the focus.

It is as Karik 11

Any help would be much appreciated as its a good player and I have the Numerik DAC too.
Old 6th June 2015, 08:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Disc Player of Denon's UCD110 uses the same Hitachi laser unit and servo unit IC from Hitachi's HA series. Thus the service manual is helpful for adjusting focus and tracking error.
But in the meantime the KARIK is out of service support - this means, the schematic is available from Linn or their authorized service departments.
I had several devices of this model for service several years ago with similar kind of drop outs. In all cases the Hitachi laser unit (optical pick up) was not the reason. But a certainly motor manufacturer (Disc motor resp. turntable motor) was good known for failures: manufacturer was Matsushita (logo/trademarksign is a bordered "M"). Later models with Mabuchi motors was more reliable. Matsushita motors must always remove. Please note, Mabuchi motors need new drilled holes for mounting and shorting shaft. Removing of the pulley (turntable) from old motor without damage isn't easy, also the height adjust at the new motor.
check out also this thread:
Laser for my Linn Karik

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 6th June 2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 6th June 2015, 10:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you the reply.
I think I would like to check all the pot adjustments are correct initially so need that information.

I took some photos when last had it open, I will check to see if I can see the motor type from those first.

Were there any symptoms from the failing motor?

Were all the issues you found motor related?

Much appreciated Rob
Old 6th June 2015, 10:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I can see from the photos mine is a hop m3 laser unit but cannot see the motor.
I'm not sure Linn will just give out a service manual but I could ask. Disappointingly I cant find much on the web.
there is one brief write up on changing a laser and setting the laser output voltage. It was enough to point me to the TP and give a 1.4v spec. The rest though might be for a different version. I wasnt sure which pot controls the focus or how to measure.
Old 6th June 2015, 09:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Fixed it, couldn't stand the skipping any longer so opened it up with the idea of checking all the caps.
found some hiding under a ribbon cable looking more than obvious.

Had to strip it right down to get the pcb out. New caps and its running like a dream. Even plays badly scratched disc now. No skipping or buffering (which I could hear as a slightly drop off before).
Gave all the motors a squirt of contact cleaner lube while at it.

Would still like a service manual at some point for future jobs as ill be keeping this for some years.

Hide this!Advertise here!