Stuck on reclocking part of Doede's 1543 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finished my Doede's DAC 1543 last night..!!! What an incredible musical DAC. Instruments sound like real instruments...Am chuffed!

However the re-clocking part does not work...only change I made is a 100R resistor going from the Tent clock...could that be it..?

All I hear when I have the re-clocking switch on is absolute silence...

Any pointers?

Regards

Hi Bas,

You did shorten all three switches? :D

Furthermore did you check the connection from plus 5 Volt going to Tents clock... I use an IC-mount and had to connect the 10 mm distance from the upper left pin of the mount to the upperleft pin of the clock...

What is strange in my case is that reclocking sounds less musical:bawling:

Maybe it has to do with all that cabling. I have some 20 cm of wires connected to all the switches, so the signal has to travel a long way outside the pcb when reclocking. When I have done the enclosure I will try using short cables on the switching-pins. Maybe then reclocking will bring benefits...:xeye:

Regards,

Lucas

Hi Lucas,

You did shorten all three switches?
Yep.

What is strange in my case is that reclocking sounds less musical
Good news...that means if it does not work out ...it is geen ramp ;)

Maybe it has to do with all that cabling.
You mean the sound in your case ....could very well be! In my case it can't be..I shorted it directly :xeye:

Thanks,
Bas

In my case the reclocking made the difference - in positive - even if it was Elso's ASR and not like Doede's.

The obvious checks need a oscilloscope: check the oscillator output and look at the signals you are going to reclock before applying the reclock, and then look if you see the same signals after.

Make also sure that you set the correct CS8412 mode when reclocking.

And -last but not least- where are the pics??:smash:

Cheers

Andrea

Show me yours first! And I'll show you mine!

Just kidding;)

Will post some pics tomorrow..(just breadboard stage)

Regards,
Bas

Have no scope :cannotbe:

Is either the tent clock or that other thing very sensitive to soldering or electrostatic charges?..

PS I still have an unfinished clock 6..from Elso lying about..Maybe I should try that...gotta buy a crystal first though...

Cheers,
Bas

PS
Make also sure that you set the correct CS8412 mode when reclocking.

How do I do that?

Show me yours first! And I'll show you mine!

I already posted mine, just have a little search!

Have no scope

That's bad news... at least check the DC level.. if you have the same signal the DC level should be the same...

Is either the tent clock or that other thing very sensitive to soldering or electrostatic charges?..

Don't know about the static sensitivity of the oscillator, however to be sure that is is working you should get a 2.5V DC level at its output (50% Duty cycle square supposed).

About the working mode of the CS8412 you should switch a input pin of the receiver while enabling the reclocking, check this state change at least. See the datasheet for further info.

Hope you'll solve these issues soon, so at least you can show us the pics!;)

Cheers

Andrea

PS I'm using a regular 5% type resistor in my I/V.

pic

Attachments

• dscn0802.jpg
    dscn0802.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 607
Hi Peter,

I have a 5*1543 tower

I first added 3m copper tap on top of each TDA1543 with a little sticking out the side..
THEN
I added heat conducting plastic (cutout from TO220 plastic..don't know what to call it) Then soldered on the next TDA143 and so on....so I have a sandwich of tda..copper tape..heat conducting plastic...tda etc, etc.

And then folded the 3m copper so it would touch the next little foldout of copper...and soldered that all together.

Unfortunately only on one side...

Then on that one side I added a 2,5mm copper from installatiedraad...made a little shape S..as soon as it protruded from the tower

BUT as you see that little copper thing broke of in the subsequent mods.(3m copper tape tore off). so on the photo the little antenna heatsink is off.. but before it broke off it worked quite well.

Now...without the little "antenna" it gets so hot it that putting on your finger is uncomfortable (8vdc supplied to the TDA1543)

But in the future I might try the tower with 8 and the heatsink with the Frontpage designer stuff...that is mentioned on doede's site.

I suggest you add the Wildmonkeysects mod right from the begining...Doede says it make very little difference with the reclocking on but Elso Kwak says it makes a big diffrence on a non reclocking dac.

Cheers,
Bas

Attachments

• wildmonkeysects.gif
    wildmonkeysects.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 666
Bas Horneman said:

/B]

never had one down due to ESD, some died after 15s soldering, but you all use a socket, nah ?

Take care to use clean power supply to make optimum bennefit from the XO, and makes sure all the wiring from and to the switch is twisted with a ground wire in company

regards

never had one down due to ESD, some died after 15s soldering, but you all use a socket, nah ?

Thanks for chipping in Guido.

Never occured to me to use a socket :-(

So soldered in straight..I also soldered a 47r resistor straight to the 4040 thingy...

Measured voltage on the signal going to the 4040 jobby and measerued 2,68vdc before going to 4040 after 47R resistor 3,6vdc???

Mean anything to anyone?

Regards,
Bas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.