Marantz...CD50...CD52...CD60....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anybody tell me what is the differences between theese Marantz players.

-Quality
-DAC
-Lasertype CDM ??
-"useless" functions...I want a player a "clean" player with as little unnessesary functions as possible/ few buttons !?, but remote is a MUST !!
-Headphones/ volumecontrols...rather not...
Etc.

What about the CD 72 MKII, how do this differ from the pack over ?

If I buy a Philips instead (easyer to get hand on...:xeye: )
Is a CD 690/692 a decent choice when planning to mod it to some kind of I2S direct to DAC player.

Is the Philips CD 880 the little brother to CD 960 ???

Need some advice in the jungle of good/ notsogood players for my needs

Lyra

cd880 is a brother to ccd882, 880 has 4x TDA1541S2 and CDM1 I think, 882 was without dac for use with digital amp or stand alone dac. They were made after the 960.
http://www.geocities.com/ineedtogetsomesoon/cdd882_dfu_nld.pdf
http://www.geocities.com/ineedtogetsomesoon/cdd882_dfu_eng.pdf
As for the cd692, it has a CDM9 and extended controls so I'm sure something nice can be build with it. It has some kind of bitstream setup, not sure wich as I'm in the proces of changing boxes. EDIT probably SAA7350.

frenzic said:
cd880 is a brother to ccd882, 880 has 4x TDA1541S2 and CDM1 I think, 882 was without dac for use with digital amp or stand alone dac. They were made after the 960.
http://www.geocities.com/ineedtogetsomesoon/cdd882_dfu_nld.pdf
http://www.geocities.com/ineedtogetsomesoon/cdd882_dfu_eng.pdf
As for the cd692, it has a CDM9 and extended controls so I'm sure something nice can be build with it. It has some kind of bitstream setup, not sure wich as I'm in the proces of changing boxes. EDIT probably SAA7350.

CD880 has only one TDA as far as i know. Can remember an article on the eringa modification, where they feed the dac with a power from the 'filter' (this was a new outputstate with it's own PS, but still opamp based). There was a version for the marantz cd40 and for the philips cd880.

And it has a cdm1mk2, which is a different thing than the original cdm1. Think more of a metal cdm2 or cdm4/31 with same plastic laser assembly.

GuidoB

zygibajt said:

What????

Where did you get that information? Are you sure?
Four times S2 versions and CDM1.
I don't think so.

Bartek

Nope, don't think so. One S1 and cdm1mk2 is more like it.

Marantz cd7 has (only?) two S2's:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=12116

Players with four 1541's existed as far as i can remember, cambridge audio or some other uk brand ???? Remember
the dac's on separate mounted sub-pcb's....

GuidoB

zygibajt said:

Nice picture, indeed one S1 bottom left. Look at the crown stamp
on the chip. not at the bottom right, but middle right. And the S1
stamp is right after the part number. Guess it is genuine, but
different than all the previous pics :->

Above the DAC is the 7220 filter, with the xtal above it covered
to minimize vibrations. decoder 7210 (?) to the right of it.

It is the first philips player i see where the decoding microprocessor has an outboard eprom (and RAM?). The display micro (top left) could have also one below it (PROM).

So maybe the first player i see where all the parts could be replaced (if you read the (e)proms and store the internal code), except the display i guess.

The transport looks like my cd2, and i think there is a cd in there.
So it could be a metal cdm1mk2 underneath!

Looks like a nice player for modding. Can also remember that the reviewer thought that the eringa modified cd880 was quite good, but that the stock marantz cd80 was even better...!

GuidoB

Lyra said:
Can anybody tell me what is the differences between theese Marantz players.

-Quality
-DAC
-Lasertype CDM ??
-"useless" functions...I want a player a "clean" player with as little unnessesary functions as possible/ few buttons !?, but remote is a MUST !!
-Headphones/ volumecontrols...rather not...
Etc.

What about the CD 72 MKII, how do this differ from the pack over ?

If I buy a Philips instead (easyer to get hand on...:xeye: )
Is a CD 690/692 a decent choice when planning to mod it to some kind of I2S direct to DAC player.

Is the Philips CD 880 the little brother to CD 960 ???

Need some advice in the jungle of good/ notsogood players for my needs

Lyra

And to come back to the original post. I have a cd60 and i scrapped a cd40 to get it working (transfer telefunken display driver chip). The internals are quite similar, same main pcb, same cd4 transport, same TDA1541A DAC.

The CD60 has an extra pcb with secondary variable (motorpot) output. Also a metal plate underneith. Maybe extra and or better components here and there too. And a different (nicer) front.
Like the cd60 'looks'.

I did not do a comparisson between the cd40 and 60.
I think my cd40 had a R1 1541A dac, so one with 'relaxed' specs.

Don't have the manuals and did not mod it (yet). So i don't have
much detail at the moment.

GuidoB

Marantz CD60 Special Edition

Hello there,

I'm a happy owner of a Marantz CD 60 Special Edition that I bought in 1990. It works fine and the sound is sweet and mellow, mostly due to the B&W DM 320 speakers and the Musical Fidelity A1 amp, all purchased at the same time.

I'm considering changing the CD player since everybody around me says that CD technology has evolved so much in the past 20 years and so the sound of new players should automatically be much better than my vintage material. I'm not convinced.

What do you guys think?

I would consider buying a second hand Cayin CD 50T for 750€ or a new Cambridge Audio (forgot the model) for around 900€. Seen the tech specs, both have a larger sampling and separate DAC for each channel. Will it really show?

Also I'm looking for a manual for the CD60 Special Edition and I cannot find it anywhere. Do you know where to find this type of info (service manual, brochure, instructions for use, etc)?

Thanks

tomaspa

I have a CD50se in a secondary system at my seaside holiday house. It is powered by an Audiolab 8000a amp, which drives B&W DM570 speakers.

It is all classic 80s stuff that I have owned from new (except the Audiolab) and it still astounds me. There is a certain amount of detail missing, but the shear musicality and vibrancy is hard to beat.

I think that the CD50 was a non oversampling design. Most of these early chips are still well thought of. Some would say that mass market CD player design has gone backwards since.

I had a CD85 once that was awesome too.

Re: Marantz CD60 Special Edition

tomaspa said:
I'm a happy owner of a Marantz CD 60 Special Edition that I bought in 1990. It works fine and the sound is sweet and mellow, . . .
I'm considering changing the CD player since everybody around me says that CD technology has evolved so much in the past 20 years and so the sound of new players should automatically be much better than my vintage material. I'm not convinced.

I've got a Philips CDB630, which has the same (AFAIK) circuit (including the famous TDA1541A DAC) as the Marantz CD40,50 and 60. (They had various levels of extra stuff, like variable outputs, headphone amps, etc) Stock it sounded dark, but very musical. I did the non-oversampling mod, removed the muting transistors and disconnected the extraneous stuff (headphone and variable output, etc). It opened up the sound considerably.

Last week an audio buddy and I spent a considerable amount of time comparing it to my Philips 963SA (stock). The much newer Philips is a nice machine, not high end, but decent enough (upsampling to 192, its got specs galore). The 963 is tonally richer, with a bit more bass. The old 630 destroys it in every other way. If I described specifics, I'd have to use a bunch of language that isn't popular around here (like referring to it's rhythmic abilities). My friend was shocked, as he was convinced that new digital must be better. It is my guess that the 630 will sound more tonally fleshed out with some new parts in the output stage.

If you spend a bunch of $$, you may indeed like the new player better. However, I'd suggest that in the spirit of this DIY board, you first spend some time modding the CD60. The mods I listed above are free, and certainly upgrade the sound. If you want to get more involved you could through a pile of nice new parts at it too. There is all sorts of info about these old machines floating around this board and the rest of the net.

dublin78 said:
I think that the CD50 was a non oversampling design.

Only if you get out the soldering iron. . .

pj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.