CDM1 and philips cd303 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2004, 09:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question CDM1 and philips cd303

Any CDM1 owner could please give me a hint on how to set proper focus, tracking and motor speed?
Does anyone have schematics for this transport or for the philips cd303?
thanks
Old 2nd February 2004, 08:50 AM   #2
EDUM is offline EDUM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello elperopu,

On a CDM1 you have only adjustments for FOCUS GAIN, FOCUS OFFSET and LASER OUTPUT.

The correct way to do it is spread over several different manuals. You need testdiscs as well.

So if you can get copies of service docs that will help (Philips Service Organisation).

If you do not have these some rough(!) guidelines may help.

-Focus offset. Make sure the objective is horizontal position when focussed on a disc. Focussing itself may be difficult if there is to much offset. So you may have to repeat a focussing attempt (via service mode of the player) Make sure you do not focus on the frontreflection (than the distance to the disc is to large)

-Focus Gain. Use your ears to determine if the Gain is to high.( too nervous sound).

- Laser output. Be carefull. Its not StarWars.

If you follow common rules for repairing a product there is not much that can go wrong. For an optimal adjustment servicedocs and discs are needed.

Have Fun!

Ward
Old 2nd February 2004, 10:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello EDUM,
Quote:
The correct way to do it is spread over several different manuals. You need testdiscs as well
Do you know where to get these testdiscs? May anyone has it willing to transform them to digital files.
Old 2nd February 2004, 11:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ultranalog Send a message via Yahoo to ultranalog
Default no ripping possible!

Unfortunately, the defects in these disc (holes, black spots, fingerprints) are physical and ripping such a cd creates a copy which is unuseable.

I'm afraid I don't have such a disc or know of where to get one, either. I do have all the manuals with adjustment procedures (see here ).
Old 2nd February 2004, 03:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello Tubeee,

Ultranalog is unfortunately very correct. These discs with defects are "scratched" during mastering and handprinted afterwards. This is quite an art (I was involved myself) and therefore expensive....

Ward

Good to see you kept those manuals ultranalog!
Old 2nd February 2004, 05:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

As I was involved I know that making these discs is quite an art, not because I was involved.....

Ward
Old 3rd February 2004, 01:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The problem is.. i don't have a manual, nor i can find one for cheap wehere i live, and i cannot affort the luxory of buying the manual of a oplayer that could not come to life again.... The cd was to be thrown away, so i saved it. it now does not work. i am a student in litterature subjects an i'm new in electonics, so i hoped that i could have made some experience in fixing and maby mod it... at least i wanted to hear how it sounds before bringing it back to the garbage. When i insert a cd, it spins very very fast and the lead-in area cannot be recognized. I tried to slow the urricane down by roughly using a finger on the spindle. In this way the cd is recognised and the player jumps easily from track to track, so i hoped the diode was still good and figured that it could have been a servo problem. (connections seem good). so i opened the transport and i found three trimmes but no hint on their function. so before blowing the laser (with it's output control) i tried to look for some info in the net and i found this site.
i tried to sketch the position of the trimmers, if somebody can help me telling which is what and....
thanks federico
Old 3rd February 2004, 07:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello elperopu,

Am I correct to understand that after a "little help" the player is tracking? And if you push the FWD button it jumps from track to track?

Can you hear music when connected to your audio system?

Look at the "blade" of the focus actuator. Is it horizontal?

Ward
Old 3rd February 2004, 06:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

thanks a lot for your help, edum!
Yes... if i slow the motor down with that simple break, the player can count tracks and skip back and forward... but no sound is coming...
I maybe will seem an idiot, but i don't know where the focus actuator is...
I tried to scketch the position of the trimmer i've found. if you know the transport, could you give me any coordinates, please?
i don't know which trimmer is what....
by federico
Attached Images
File Type: png cdm1.png (3.0 KB, 747 views)
Old 3rd February 2004, 10:01 PM   #10
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

1 laser supply
2 focus bandwith
3 focus offset, should be in mid position.

So not working well and no sound. Seems to me like two problems with maybe the same cause: did you check all the powersupplies?

For correctly adjusting 1, you need a laser simulator pcb.
For 2 you need a scope with x / y inputs.
For 3 you need nothing, set to mid position.

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!